1/32 Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden Kai

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

1/32 Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden Kai

Post by jkim »

I was going to slot this build in after the Bf109G-14 and Fw 190D-13. But with the completion of the Ta152H-0, I really wanted to take a break from Luftwaffe subject and try something new. So I'm going to slide the D-13 to the right and work on this one alongside the G-14. This will be my first large scale Japanese fighter build.

And unlike most of my other builds, this one will be relatively light in terms of aftermarket add-ons. For the simple fact that there just isn't much out there for the Shiden Kai. This is the kit I'll be working on...

It comes in a larger than expected top-opening box. The box is bigger than the other Hasegawa kits that I've built including the Bf109s and Fw190Ds. The primary reason is that this fighter was a BIG BEEFY aircraft. It was developed by Kawanishi as a replacement for the venerable Zero. Just as the F6F Hellcat was specifically designed to combat the Zero, the N1K was aimed directly at the Hellcat. Based off of the Kyofu floatplane, the N1K1 Shiden showed promise but there were serious issues with the long, spindly landing gear legs that were needed because of the mid-wing design. The N1K2 Shiden Kai addressed that issue with a more conventional low wing configuration and a effective new fighter was born.

The majority of the typical Hasegawa grey parts are packed into a single plastic bag. I prefer separate bags for each sprue to protect the parts but I didn't notice anything broken.

The fuselage is noticeably deep and wide... reminds me of the P-47. Molding is typical of Hasegawa, very fine with very little flash.

Panel detail is primarily recessed with a few raised features where appropriate. Rivets are restricted to a certain areas and are not universally represented. I like this approach. It gives the option to the modeler and I find that manually applied rivets using a tool such as RB Productions Rivet-R are much more scale appropriate than can be achieved with the injection molding process.

The wheel wells are inserts that are appropriately deep but not too heavily detailed. I'll have to check my references to see if any additions are warranted.

This sprue is large because the wings are huge. They accommodate twin 20mm cannon on each side, which offered devastating firepower.

The detail is beautifully molded. Check out the thin piece of wing on the trailing edge at the wing root... the proverbial "accident waiting to happen".

The cockpit is a tub configuration comprised primarily of the floor and two sidewalls. I like this modular approach to the cockpit as it simplifies the painting process instead of having details molded into the fuselage interior.

The molding is of the highest quality but the main cockpit components are not heavily detailed. Again, I'll refer to my references to see if any additional details can be added. The cockpit is pretty big and spacious, judging by the width of the floor panel but the sidewalls curve narrower at the canopy opening and the view into the interior from the outside might be very restricted.

The engine seems to be represented quite well. I'm looking forward to working on the 2,000 HP Nakajima Homare engine because it is a radial and I've been working on inline engines that are hidden from view. The aerodynamic spinner will hide some of the engine but you should still be able to peek into the cowl opening and see the powerplant.

I think Hasegawa reserves its best work for Japanese subjects. The exhaust pipes, which are no bigger than what you'd find on a Bf109 or Fw190D-9, feature hollowed openings, which I don't typically see on Luftwaffe kits by Hasegawa.

The landing gear legs feature molded on hydraulic lines, which appear to be round in cross-section... again, an enhancement that I've not seen on other Hasegawa kits.

The single bag approach scratched up the spinner but the damage looks to be superficial only.

Similar to the 109 and 190D series of kits from Hasegawa, the N1K2-J features a separate tail. This allows Hasegawa to release another version of the N1K2-J that featured a smaller tail without creating a brand new set of molds.

The engine cowling is impressive molded in a single piece. Hasegawa protected this unique feature by packing it in its own bag.

There is a curious "leftover" sprue that seems to catch all of the parts that Hasegawa couldn't fit on the main sprues. Hasegawa took advantage of slide molding again to hollow out the cannon barrels.

The clear parts wrap up the sprue tour of the N1K2-J kit. Similar to Tamiya's F4U Corsair kit, Hasegawa offers two rear canopy versions to accommodate open or closed canopy positions. This is a nice touch that takes into account the not-to-scale thickness of the clear parts.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Hasegawa N1K2-J Shiden Kai

Post by jkim »

As I said before, the aftermarket list for this build is quite short. I have the Brengun Photoetch set for the N1K2. As with most PE stuff, I usually pick and choose the things that I feel are worth the trouble. It's got the seat harnesses but we'll have to see if I can get the metal belts to look somewhat natural. The set also includes the instrument panel, which will be a good option to the kit IP.

Although the kit cannon barrels might be perfectly usable, I ordered a set of brass barrels from RB Models in Poland. They are currently being shipped my way.

Besides the Eduard canopy masks, that's pretty much it for the aftermarket stuff. As for references, I've built up a few key resources that I can refer to for this build. I just got the Aero Detail 26, which is a nice publication...

I've also got PDF versions of a few Japanese language publications including...
The Maru Mechanic 21

Model Art 587

Bunrin Do Famous Airplanes of the World 53

One of the things that caught my eye as I was taking photos of the sprues was the pilot figure. It is one of the nicest figures I've seen molded in injection plastic. It comes with two heads with different head covering styles.

The decal sheet even comes with an assortment of uniform badges and insignias. Like I said, I think Hasegawa goes the extra step on these Japanese aircraft subjects.

I'm a horrible figure painter but this one is so nice that I feel obligated to at least assemble it. Looks as good as a resin figure doesn't it? There are some injector pin marks on the arms and legs that I'm currently filling. At this point, I'm committed to assembling the figure, cleaning up the glue joints and then giving him a coat of primer but will not promise anything further than that.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

That's a nice looking kit and very nice looking figure.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Looks like a nice kit. And the figure is exceptional.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:popcorn:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looking forward to this build.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I haven’t seen a Maru Guide since like forever and a day! Wonderful resources, John!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

As with any new project, the inclination is to jump right in and start on the build but I can't do that yet. Mr Hobby developed a lacquer paint set specifically for the N1K2-J and I've ordered the exterior Kawanishi Green as well as the interior beige green color. So I don't want to get ahead of myself without the cockpit paint.

So I played around with the seat today. A pretty basic affair that can be easily spruced up.

First, I drilled out the lightening holes which are represented as recessed circles, offering a good guide for the mini drill bits.

The seat was then thinned. Although some overall thinning was performed, most of my focus was on the edges. Simply thinning the edges of an object can go a long way in making the entire object seem thin.

As promised, I have assembled the figure, cleaned up all of the seams and shot the pilot with a coat of primer.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Even though I've had the Swallow kit for a long time, I bought this when I saw the sprues here. Now I have to get the paint! Only place I could find it was Hong Kong via Ebay.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That is a beautifully molded pilot figure! :shoutout: I can’t wait to see how he looks all painted up.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”