Eduard 1/48 Fw 190D-9 Late

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Floki
Elite Member

Eduard 1/48 Fw 190D-9 Late

Post by Floki »

I know my next project I was going to start was going to be a Gunship but when I got it out the decals have yellowed bad. Not many decals on the sheet but nose art that I know I cant mask and paint. Anyway everyone here likes Doras right? I know I do.

First thing the markings
This kit has two options for the fuselage sides, one with the normal tail and the other with the bigger tail of the Ta 152.
I'm going to depict Fw 190D-9 W.Nr. 500645 Black 6 of JG2 III Gruppe.
Looking at the color profile that Eduard gives it shows evidence of a engine change since the panels are in 83/76 and not 81/82/76 of the rest of the fuselage. it also shows that the 76 on the engine/wings/rudder are a bluer shade of 76 then the main body of the fuselage or maybe it's just my eyes playing tricks on me. Hope to hear your guys thoughts who have more knowledge on it.

Starting in the cockpit I've sanded off the raised detail on the side consoles to make way for the PE parts and some liquid glue brushed on to even out the surface some.

Now a question before I move any farther and that has to do with the blue oxygen modular on the pilots right side rear wall. I know A versions had this and was made to be operated with the pilots elbow was this on the Dora? Eduard doesn't depict it and looking online I can't find any photos of the rear wall of a Dora. Looking at aftermarket resin sets again some show it others don't. Looking though John's Dora builds his resin cockpits always have it and that splash of blue helps break up the sea of 66.

https://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/Visit ... fw-190d-9/

Thanks for looking in!
SKOL!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
speedgraflex

Re: Eduard 1/48 Fw 190D-9 Late

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Right on, Clint! You know I love Doras so I'll be watching with interest. I've not built the Eduard D-series so I'm doubly interested. Let me know if you need specific information regarding 500645 as I have both the JaPo and Crandall Dora references.

Yes, assume that the D-9 had the oxygen unit on the right rear cockpit bulkhead. The following page is from the Squadron/Signal 190D Walk Around book...
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Bruce them are some great photos of the Dora at NMUSAF in Ohio a aircraft that I have seen and photographed many times. The museum is around 2 hours from my house and I try to go once a year.

John any photos you have I would love to see. I have 2 books on the 190 but all cover the A series. That page from squadron is exactly what I was looking for it clearly shows the oxygen regulator. I have Eduards dual combo kit of the Fw190 D-11 and D-13. I got it for a great price and it comes with two full kits to build one of each. Speaking of the D-13 have you done anymore work on yours?
Odin's sons... Attack!
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Went looking through my collection of extra parts and found this
It is a gas tank from a Sd.Kfz. 251 half track and the locator pins look like they will work perfectly for what I need.
I cut one off with a razor saw and sanded it down to what looked like the right height.
Odin's sons... Attack!
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Very cool project. Count me in!
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

That piece looks exactly right. There’s a bit of a trade off with manufacturers and the cockpit wall thicknesses, too. Have you checked your corner clearance? I just wouldn’t want you to have to adjust the O2 piece after painting. One of Model Building Rules I have learned the Hard Way is the dry fit one. I’m not suggesting you need a refresher, just confirming that piece fits. Cheers, and Skol and Ciao!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thanks guys.
Bruce I had thought of that and had the cockpit sitting against the sidewall to make sure it looked right in place before glue.
I've worked on the rear part of the engine yesterday and tonight that will be visible through the wheelwell. Photos tomorrow have a bad headache right now and have to leave for work soon.
Odin's sons... Attack!
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Great find on the oxygen regulator, Clint!

Unfortunately, there are only two photos of 500645 and both of those show only of the starboard side of the tail unit. Since it a Mimetall-produced Dora (W. Nr 500xxx), it can be assumed that the camo pattern is similar to other Mimetall machines, most notably the famous Blue 12 (500570). Crandall's Dora book mentions the existence of a mysterious color photo of Black 6: "Additionally a color photo is known but not available for this publication; it appeared on the cover of an obscure booklet printed in Holland apparently in the 1970s. Enthusiast and superlative model builder John Quint had access to this color photo and was allowed to make copious notes and sketches. Unfortunately, the owner of the booklet would not sell or loan it, but permitted the information to be extracted. Soon afterwards John built and painted an excellent 1/72nd scale model applying the color and patterns he had sketched. Thanks to John Quint for his enthusiastic assistance as this profile is based on his notes."

John aka JKim
-----------<><
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thank you so much for the profile is it from JaPo? Eduard states that the profile they provide comes from "A" color photo they apparently had access to. A few things this clarifies for me.
1.) The engine looks to be 83/76 like Eduard claims from the photo they had access to.
2.) The aircraft was all in the same shade of 76

Differences
1.) The 83/76 of Eduard profile shows a fairly straight line between the two colors. The other profile shows it to be wavy like the body.
2.) The mottling on the tail shows 81 on the Eduard the other looks to be 82
3.) The W.Nr. is fully visible on the Eduard and the other is particularly sprayed over except the last three digits.

I would love to get your opinion on these John. I'm assuming Eduard had access to the same color photo that you mentioned and also list JaPo for source information. I really like this part of the build gathering information weeding out fact from artistic license from different profiles of the same aircraft.
Odin's sons... Attack!

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”