Gee Bee Part two...Williams Brothers

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
LyleW
Admin

Gee Bee Part two...Williams Brothers

Post by LyleW »

I am quite hesitant to post anything anymore on what I am working on. Seems to jinx them. After the fiasco with the Lindberg GB R1, it became personal and I am going to build one. Got this one for a reasonable price since the decals are toast...Ya think?

Still looking for a replacement sheet, since some are small and white....Most I can print on clear decal paper or cut masks for. Mr. Eaton had posted an image of the decals on FSM some time ago and I have that to work with. Thank you, John!

Not too bad of a kit, really. And, best of all? Only a two piece fuselage. None of that damn hood like the Lindberg edition has. Engine has some 25% of the parts count. Three parts for the crankcase, 9 cylinders, a bunch of very tiny exhaust pieces....

Prop had some flash and two huge sink marks on the back side. I do too....

This kit had a very clear hatch outline and a recessed outline on the interior to make opening it up easier. So, I did.

I've gone back and forth between a zinc chromate or a white interior....that is why you see some green in there. Modelcrazy gave some good ideas on his update on the WB GB he is building and I stole them. Don't tell him......added some styrene rod to the port side for visual interest and a bit of black beading wire to the throttle quadrant. Not sure that will be seen, though.

The cockpit is interesting in how they did it. As you might guess, the instructions from Williams Brothers are not very detailed. Found a Youtube video that a feller did which managed to answer my questions. Still have to touch up the aluminum on the seat back...

The guy that built the one on Youtube indicated the bulkheads were wood. Don't know...but it adds a bit of color to a very white inside.

Going at it very slowly, even for me. Fitting everything several times before any glue is applied. I'm even considering applying the 1/64" black demarcation line between the red and white colors. Again, I blame Modelcrazy. I've ordered some black chart tape....we'll see.

Anyway, here it is.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Floki
Elite Member

Re: Gee Bee Part two...Williams Brothers

Post by Floki »

Off to a good start Lyle!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Floki wrote:Off to a good start Lyle!
Thanks, Clint. True to tradition, the seat is giving me way too much trouble. So, we stop for today.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

You are cruising right along, I love the scratch work you are doing on this and watching for more!
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thank you, Brent. I had the seat attached and it just didn’t look right. Broke it loose and I’ll give it another go tomorrow.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Lyle, I think you’ve found your niche with these large scale air racers :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, but the paint ain’t on...yet.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I am subscribed, Lyle. Your choice of subjects is great! The era, the aesthetics, and yes here is I think a better kit as well. Beautiful work with your additional details and choices, too. I’ve missed being here, amongst our modelers. What you wrote about a jinx well I suppose I am superstitious but there is no jinx here, my friend. Only fine scale building work of a great subject.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Bruce, as always, you are uplifting in your comments! Thank you. Actually, the little extras were the original ideas of Steve (Modelcrazy) who is building the Gee Bee as well. I shamelessly stole them.

And as a side note, panic this morning. Went to poke holes for the rigging in the wings and could only find three of the four pieces. Looked through the box, looked through the trash, looked all over the bench, looked through the box again, looked on the floor, looked through the box again.....sat back, took a drink of coffee. And, POOF, it was in the box. The modeling gods have a weird sense of humor.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

You mentioned Modelcrazy is also building the same kit. I’ll check for his work, too. I smiled when I thought of you tempting the modeling Gods. Once any piece is free of the sprues, I use either a small napkin or a ziplock baggie to keep it safe. Do you do something similar?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”