1/32 Granville Gee Bee Model Z Super Sportster.

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
speedgraflex

Re: 1/32 Granville Gee Bee Model Z Super Sportster.

Post by speedgraflex »

Very true, Carlos. Very true.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Looking great so far. You are so methodical in your approach. Me? “We don’t need no stinking instructions!” Now, where is the glue?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

speedgraflex wrote:...

I was spot on with one and “close enough for now” with the other. The gap is from missing pressure fit; a little glue will hold ‘em both true!

I´d go and glue those from the inside: no glue traces or molten plastic on the outside joint.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks so much for your comments, Lyle and Thomas!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:popcorn: :writing:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Impressive! I commend you on the cleanliness and smoothness of your white primer. My biggest challenge in modeling is getting a smooth, opaque and clean coat of white... primer or otherwise. You sir are a White Wizard! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stuart and Duke, thank you for your comments. It is your work which inspires me, gents. And that goes out to all here. Really and truly. I do know that Tamiya’s white primer is very unusual, in the sense that on surfaces it tends to “cloud up,” which is an effect well described by Dave Flory. He was painting Trumpeter’s Me 262a-1 with Tamiya’s white primer because (a) it sticks like stink to any finish, (b) it reveals surface flaws with zero compassion, (c) it forms a white cloud greater than its coverage zone. I do work in a mist layer first then return to fill in the gaps second. Oh and I thinned the primer on the cowling because I wanted maximum “drape” of paint, so that is probably the smoothest area so far.

I am puzzling out how the cowling was held and is held in place. I hate having to build and paint the wasp engine and then figure out how. There’s also a surface detail which looks like a locking lever. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Small cowling version

Large cowling version (I may have to up-res this.)

Originally I wanted to go with the large cowling version but after reading about how this version crashed and its pilot killed, I think I will choose the small version. (Also I think my kit has only one engine type; the small one!)

Wow! German Wikipedia rocks! It’s on both sides!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

That may be a stay to keep the cowl from moving forward, I seem to remember there were some problems with that. Contrary to what you might think, the aerodynamic forces on a NACA cowl will cause forward movement. The usual method of attaching a cowl to a radial is to clamp it around the cylinder heads so it moves with engine vibration and the air can not leak out around the tops of the cylinders but can only flow around the cooling fins on the cylinders.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Okay that’s absolutely brilliant, John, and I thank you most sincerely for both how and why and as a bonus answering what that “stay” is! Thanks again!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

These are two enlargements of a beautiful cutaway illustration by Tom Johnson of the Gee Bee Z.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”