Hasegawa 1/72 F-117A Nighthawk

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: Hasegawa 1/72 F-117A Nighthawk

Post by keavdog »

Looking good Stuart. A subject I’ve yet to tackle.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Come to think of it, while I was cleaning up debris from a downed limb of a past Friday's storm, I saw a tandem of F-117s over my head heading to Griffiss AFB direction.
I thought they were retired
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Looking good Stuart. I built the Academy kit 20 years ago. Black is so hard to get right. I have the Trumpeter 1/144 kit started but never finished
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Looks fantastic Stuart! Way to go!

I just picked one of these up in a 1/72 scale four-kit Desert Storm kit set. Gonna see what I can do to get mine started soon. You've got me motivated to start!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Excellent model Stuart! :grin: I really like how that looks; I would like one in 1/48 I think! Well done sir!! :shoutout:
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks all, as always your comments are truly appreciated.

I actually had a lot of trouble with the paint on this one,, and had to wet sand it back twice. I then had issues with the clear coat, but I've finally figured out how to clear coat well without an AB or spray - by using sponges.
tempestjohnny wrote:
BlackSheep214 wrote:Come to think of it, while I was cleaning up debris from a downed limb of a past Friday's storm, I saw a tandem of F-117s over my head heading to Griffiss AFB direction.
I thought they were retired
There are still a few flying about - they've being used for trials or something. If you search youtube there are some videos.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Missed this one! Excellent work, friend!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Stuart wrote:
Stikpusher wrote:Looks good Stuart! I only saw F-117s twice. Once as a ground display at the El Toro open house air show in the mid 90s, and a flight demonstration at Edwards AFB Open House a year or so later. The 117 is a lot more agile in flight than I thought that it would be.
Thanks Carlos! I'm just trying to sort out the streaking in the clear coats (I may have actually come up with a plan to get rid of that issue permanently) and then it's onto the final assembly.

I'd love to have seen one. I hadn't appreciated just how big this jet was!
I have some suggestion for the streaking if you like:
If you have a super high grit sandpaper, lightly sand then clear coat. Then sand the clear coat a little. That may take away a little of the streaking.
Looks super otherwise!
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Gents!

Declan - a good suggestion and I do do that, in fact I did do it between coats of paint on this build, but it doesn't always help getting rid of the brush marks in the clears. I have, however, started to apply my clear coats with a make-up sponge, and this makes a huge difference!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Have you entirely gotten rid of the streaks? Sounds kind of exhausting to do it with a sponge
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”