Italeri Mirage F1C

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Italeri Mirage F1C

Post by Duke Maddog »

I agree with Silly Putty; I've heard mixed reviews on poster tac. Silly Putty is also at Target, Walmart and any other department store in the toys section. It also lasts very long. I have a half-pound wad that I've been using for the past five years; masking almost 60 models and it is still viable. I don't know that poster or blu-tac would last that long.

Looking forward to seeing more. This is already amazing!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I've got a ball of blue tac that's going on 3 years and still does its job
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I think some sort of putty or clay is a good idea for the camo masking. Whatever you use, make sure you give it a test on the paints that you are using. I've had some products (including Silly Putty) leave visible residue on the paint finish.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

^^^This. I concur, and have had Silly Putty leave a sort of "film" on the model. Blu-tac and its like hasn't done that. Yet. :wink:
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Well, I bought Silly Putty a couple weeks ago and have yet used it. I think the idea is simply not leave silly putty on too long after airbrushing. I don’t know. We’ll see....

Right now, I’m at a standstill in motivating myself to get back on the bench. :bag:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Gary Brantley wrote:
jkim wrote:I think some sort of putty or clay is a good idea for the camo masking. Whatever you use, make sure you give it a test on the paints that you are using. I've had some products (including Silly Putty) leave visible residue on the paint finish.
^^^This. I concur, and have had Silly Putty leave a sort of "film" on the model. Blu-tac and its like hasn't done that. Yet. :wink:
For me it's been just the opposite. I've never had any film lefty behind on any of my models; even after leaving it on them for up to two weeks. Maybe someone should do a test to see how Silly Putty reacts to different paints then.

I remember one guy who also said he had a film left behind by Silly Putty. He used Goo Gone to remove it without any hassles he said. Hadn't had the need myself to test it and see how it works.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Now that I’ve got the two Eduard missile sets for this bird, I have a question. What do you use for glue on these bad boys? Would super glue work? I know liquid glue or regular Testors glue is not recommended.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I used superglue on my Showtime 100 Brassin Mk20s
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

CA or epoxy will work just fine.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Jump started this bird out of storage. Finished masking for camo. Started airbrushing using Aeromaster acrylic US Dark Green FS34079. Was going good until it stopped spraying. Hmmm...that’s strange. Added more lacquer thinner, sprayed for a few seconds then stopped. What the hell?!

Stirred the cup with a toothpick and ended up pulling out a clump of paint. It was then I realized Aeromaster acrylics and lacquer thinner don’t play nice. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Spent the last half hour cleaning out the airbrush cup and 2 needles and nozzles. I’m done airbrushing for the night. I’ll resume tomorrow now that I researched which thinner plays nice with Aeromaster acrylics - use water or Windex.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”