Testors /Hawk Me-163 Komet

Post your completed aircraft here.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Testors /Hawk Me-163 Komet

Post by Gary Brantley »

Next up from the May 20th trip to the airport is another Testors kit from Hawk, this time from 1960. My Testors kit was issued in 1982. The aircraft is the well-known rocket-powered interceptor, the Me163 Komet, in 1/48 scale. This kit had only about 25 pieces and the instruction sheet had good four-view drawings for four different color schemes and some actually pretty good decaling and weathering tips. I chose the simplest of the four: Me-163B-O V-41, Eprobungskommando 16, Bad Zwischenahn, May 1944. (flown on first operational Komet mission according to the instruction's notes) I believe I’ve read that the all-red paintwork was done as a tribute to the World War One ace, the "Red Baron", Manfred von Richthofen.

The only addition I made to the kit was adding the two cannon barrels. Other than that, it was straight OOB. I remember building this in the winter of 1989-90 at the kitchen table of my grandmother’s house where we lived while our house was being finished, and she was living in a nursing home.

Again, I added a poorly painted ground crewman (never thought he would see the light of day...), from the Monogram Me-262 kit to add a sense of the true size of the little “power egg”; a plane that seemed as dangerous to its pilots as it was to the enemy. I knew a former WWII top-turret gunner in a B-17, here in our hometown. I once asked him if he had seen any of the German jets or rocket planes. He said he had but they were so fast, he was never sure if he had hit any!

The wind played hob with the Komet at the airport. It wobbles on its take-off dolly anyway and the wind kept it moving up and down . I expect some pics might be a bit blurry. I expected her to actually take flight any minute, lol. That photo session was cut pretty short and I only got a few pics but that’s okay. The model isn’t really worth too many pics at best and I had one more plane to photograph. So, with no further ado, here’s my Komet at the Cameron Airport.

Thanks for looking in!

keavdog
Elite Member

Re: Testors /Hawk Me-163 Komet

Post by keavdog »

Nice! I love the scheme you chose. Those outdoor airport pics are fantastic.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:shoutout:
I love the red prototype scheme! The wing wiper crewman is a nice touch too!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Wonderful!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Caught in a time warp!

Nice work.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That is quite the looker! Not sure I would have wanted to fly one, but it would have been a hoot! Until the Mustangs showed up on your landing approach,

Great jog!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Thanks to all you guys for the generous and kind comments on this old model. Sometimes the simple things are nice to enjoy too and this was surely a simple kit to build. The airport setting does tend to enhance the models and make them look better than they are. :wink:

I could sure use another simple build right now. It seems like every model project now quickly spirals "out of control" in one way or another. A quick and easy build is good for one's soul no doubt! I appreciate the support and encouragement my friends!! :bow:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

For a simple, well fitting and easy....get the Lindberg OA-9 Goose. You won't be disappointed.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Texgunner wrote: It seems like every model project now quickly spirals "out of control" in one way or another. A quick and easy build is good for one's soul no doubt!
So very true!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

LyleW wrote:For a simple, well fitting and easy....get the Lindberg OA-9 Goose. You won't be disappointed.
Thanks for that tip Lyle! I might just give it a try. :grin:

Return to “Completed Builds”