1/48 WW II US Bomb Truck

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
jeaton01
Elite Member

1/48 WW II US Bomb Truck

Post by jeaton01 »

I've had a lot of fun things get in the way of my modeling lately so when I have had bits of time I have been working on this. It's the Tamiya kit with a Gas-O-Line resin conversion set. The resin is kind of overpriced for the quality I think but it will work OK. I've used carbon fiber rod in place of some resin parts and where they call for plastic rod as it helps hold a warp in the trolley track better. Should add some interest to the aircraft in the display case and in photos.

And my buddy that visits my back yard occasionally.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: 1/48 WW II US Bomb Truck

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Oh very nice subject! Following this one! Heh ... even squirrels like to learn how to build their own kits. Maybe he’s looking for ideas what to add to his den in the tree. :giggles: Methinks that rigging looks tempting for him.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I’m kind of surprised that Tamiya never followed up their fuel tanker truck with a bomb truck like this. It would not be hard to engineer a sprue with the frame parts. :hmm:

Gonna watch this.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

That's cool. Neat conversion. I just got the Tamiya 1/48 fuel truck with a diorama in mind.
Thanks,
John
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

This is going to be a very cool build. Have you used Gaso.line resin before? Just wondering what the quality was.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That is quite the interesting build. Support vee hickles are fun subjects.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's a very interesting choice of subjects John!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very cool! There's something that you don't see very often.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Floki, the resin is not bad, but because of the color the photos in the instructions are hard to understand. If the photos were sharper and printed better it would be easier. Hopefully my photos will make it easier for anyone else here that may do the conversion. The main supporting boom has some warps, that's the worst of it.

I made some more progress, the resin parts are on and the rigging is done. The resin is detailed but the light color makes it hard to see what I am doing, and also makes it hard to see the detail in the photos in the instructions. I've taken a bunch of photos from different angles that may help anyone else that wants to do this one. There are some clutch and brake linkages that go on the left and right side of the winch assembly and they look busy enough but I suspect they are not completely accurate. I did the best I could placing them. Some of the pulleys are not aligned as well as they should be, there was one in the trolley frame for the trolley cart cable that is too far forward to allow the cable to run to the lateral pulleys up there so I removed some material from the front of it. The thread I used for the cable hides it pretty well. Now I can go on to work on the rest of the truck. There may be green soon!

My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Looking good!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”