Here Kitty Kitty - Tamiya Leopard A4***COMPLETED***

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
mustang1989

Re: Here Kitty Kitty - Tamiya Leopard A4

Post by mustang1989 »

The results on your black basing are turning out a very convincing paint job so far Carlos. I'm going to have to go back through the thread to see what all I've missed on this build.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank you Joe!
Believe it or not, I actually have not forgotten about this project. Last weekend I actually airbrushed on a coat of Future to get it ready for decals. One nice side effect of the Future was to bring out some more depth and richness in the base color. At least to my eye in person. I really love the look now. So I started with the kit decals for the basic markings for the serial number, unit insignia, weight classification, a couple unit markings on the turret rear, and some other glacis markings that I’m not really sure of... Thomas, what do those numbers on the white circles represent?

And then in my decal bin I have some Tamiya decals for various tanks including a couple modern type sheets that have these unique markings for a Leo 1A4 from Bundeswehr 30th Panzer Brigade. My guess is that the tank commander was a fan of the Das Boot film. And I would love to see a photo of the actual vehicle... anyways I could not pass up using these markings...

so here is how my big cat is looking overall now...

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

U-436 Conning Tower Detail

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The 1981 film U-96 used the swordfish emblem...

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Great movie! Thank you for explaining, Carlos. A swordfish makes a lot of sense as a symbol for a U-Boat. I remember first watching the Director’s cut with my Dad—we were both mesmerized and reduced to ash by the end of that film.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Das Boot is one of my all time favourite movies. All war movies I've watched after it had to compete with it.
No glorification, no hero-warshipping, just telling a story of brave men in dark times. That's how you deal with such a tough topic.
Stikpusher wrote:(...) So I started with the kit decals for the basic markings for the serial number, unit insignia, weight classification, a couple unit markings on the turret rear, and some other glacis markings that I’m not really sure of... Thomas, what do those numbers on the white circles represent?
Never seen those markings before. Due to their size and color they're clearly only carried during peacetime. Maybe some specific maneuver information about the type of ammo it carries? Would like to hear a proper answer to this as well!

Last but not least: Great progress, Carlos! I really like the looks of that kitten.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Gents, I found this...

Deutsch: Ein Leopard 1-Kampfpanzer der Bundeswehr, 1. Zug, 4. Kompanie, Panzerbataillon 153 (PzBtl 153) (gehörte zur Panzerbrigade 15, 5. Panzerdivision) auf einem Feldweg bei Effolderbach (Hessen) während des Manövers Confident Enterprise (deutsch: Vetrauensvolles Unternehmen) als Teil von REFORGER/AUTUMN FORGE '83

English: A Federal German Army Leopard 1 main battle tank of the 1st Platoon, 4th Company, 153rd Panzers, is parked in a field during the Confident Enterprise phase of REFORGER/AUTUMN FORGE '83 near Effolderbach (Hesse).
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Good progress stik. On the subject of Future, if you didn't already know, it has changed names yet once again. It's now Pledge Floor Gloss.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks for the the update on Future. I’m past the halfway point on the current (and old) bottle of the stuff. Now I know what to look for when I need to buy a new one.

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Beautiful work on that big cat Carlos! I also agree that the green was enhanced by the Future coat. This is really coming along; I do love the addition of the extra decals.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”