Accurate Armour 1/35th Snatch Land Rover

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Bish
Master Member

Accurate Armour 1/35th Snatch Land Rover

Post by Bish »

For a number of years, Accurate Armour have produced a range of 35th resin kits of British vehicles that no one else did in this scale in plastic. And while a few have not been released in plastic, the AS-90 and Fv 432 for example, many are still only done by AA and i can't imagine them ever being done by the main stream companies. So, if you want these subjects, your only option is to go for the more expensive resin kits.

There are a few kits they produce, especially those from the Troubles, that i have wanted to do for a while, and so this is my first 35th resin vehicle. The Snatch is actually 2 conversion sets. LRA013 is the SNATCH conversion designed to be used with the Hobby Boss kit, from which you only need the chassis. But AA also sells a seperate Land Rover chassis which can be used with the HB kit as wel as with the Snatch and other Land Rover kits Accurate Armour sells. So it made sense to me to just get the chassis conversion. Its cheaper than buying the HB kit, most of which would have been waisted.

I am also adding a checkpoint sign and a figure, though i don't have a pic of the latter yet.

I started out by building the chassis. I have learnt my lesson from building resin kits in the past and am being careful to check everything before gluing. AA instructions are not the best, a set of photo's with parts already in place which don't always show the presice location.

The metal springs are a little tricky, the front mounts snapped under the pressure so i had to trim the springs so they were not putting tension on the resin.

The rear axel is from the Snatch conversion, everything else is from the chassis set.

I started this Wed afternoon and it was done by Thurs night, so quicker than i expected. I then made a small start on the Snatch set, so far just getting the front together.

Again, more careful checking was needed. The image for the above was frontal only but the sills include the floor for the stowage bins on either side, so you have to be careful not to trim to much away.

Thats it for now. Going to work on the engine and rest of the front before moving onto the rear compartment.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat
LyleW
Admin

Re: Accurate Armour 1/35th Snatch Land Rover

Post by LyleW »

That looks great. Chassis seems to be nicely detailed.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looks like a cool project. What is the “Snatch” Landrover variant’s job/role?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Never built a complete resin kit before, I'm sure they give their own unique challenges. I would also like to know more about this vehicle.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Cheers guys.

It was original dsigned for patrol duties in N Ireland. It replaced an older design of Land Rover that just had a fiberglass body. Both these vehicles were designed to be used in what we called soft areas, namely loyalist areas where we were less likely to come under attack. For more risky areas we had a more heavily armoured vehicle known as an APV.

In both cases the vehicles went out in pairs, each with a crew of 4 but could carry passengers. Main roles were to support foot patrols, go on vehicle patrols conducting VCP's and also ferrying people between bases. According to Wikipedia they get the name from being used by Snatch squads. But i was in Ireland in 92 when it was introduced and we knew it as the Snatch from the begining and we didn't have dedicated Snatch squads unless there was a riot situation.

Floki, i have built a couple of 1/18th aircraft engines and 72nd vehicles. Main thing is clean up, they often have quite a bit of flash, though this kit does, and most importantly make sure your putting somthing in the right place before gluing. I learnt that the hard way on one of my engines.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

What an interesting build Bish, certainly not something I've EVER seen before anywhere. Not the Landy I was expecting though when I read the title, I was expecting something more like the heavily armoured ones the RUC used - I hadn't realised there was more than one type.

Will be following with in interest.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Thanks Stuart. Accurate Armour does the RUC ones as well, both the Hotspur and the Tangi. They also have a couple of N Ireland versions of the Humber Pig. I am planning on getting one of those this year.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

It's great that you can get kits of these things and the Pig would be fun to see.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Thwey deffinetly do some nice subjects that no one else does and whats more are not likely to do. I have my eye on a few.
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

The Snatch is coming on slowly but its now ready to get some primer on. I am doing all of the inside before putting it all togther and then i will paint the outside. Its a pity there is no equipment to go on the inside. The mounting plate behind the front seats should hold ECM equipment (not a radio as the instructions say). I might try and scratch build something as the type of equipment that fitted there was just a metal box with a couple of switches.

The mesh over the rear lights is rather nice. It is attached to the plate that glues to the vehicle and can be folded to shape but left open so the lights can be added later. No need for masking.

I have fitted the mesh on the side doors, the glass goes in from the inside and can be fitted later.

And the same goes for the front windscreen, the mesh is movable which is handy.

Now time to prime and try and mix up some paint to get the right shade of green.

Modern British army figures are pretty thin on the ground and seem to mainly aimed at Iraq and Afghanistan. Accurate Armour does have a range of 80's and 90's figures but i only found one which would fit N Ireland. Its not completly accurate as it seems to have body armour over the jacket when it should be underneath and is missing the ceramic plates on the front and back that covered the vital organs. But it does have the correct chest rig and an SA 80 so its close enough. Not the best resin figures i have seen but not to bad. The right arm is not a good fit, the pouches are molded to allow for the rifle which is nice but the arm does not fit to the shoulder, so needed some filling at the back. The muzzle on the SA 80 has come off but i managed to save it and will attach later.

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”