1/35 M48a3 Patton by Tamiya

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

1/35 M48a3 Patton by Tamiya

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Good evening gentlemen,
This is my first 1/35 armour build ever so please be courteous but also let me know of any suggestions you may have.
I was going to order something online, but I decided I wanted to go in person to a shop. After all, it is more meaningful to actually look someone in the eye and pay them for a model than just waiting for it in the mail.
I got this for $30 even, I think it was worth it.
Let me say, I expected it to be smaller. As this is my first proper armour, I got a little overwhelmed by the size.
I got all the running gear fitted on just so I can prime it all at once, but it isn't glued. I put the majority of the extra parts on the top half of the hull, but I still have the turret to do. I plan on priming it in oxide red, doing the salt technique to get some rust effects then painting the main colour as this Vellejo Model colour US Dark Green.
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
LyleW
Admin

Re: 1/35 M48a3 Patton by Tamiya

Post by LyleW »

Looking good!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

You can’t go wrong with Tamiya armour kits. They practically put themselves together. Carlos did the Patton tank not too long ago. He would be go-to guy for any questions you might have.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looks good Declan! That Patton is a nice kit for its age. As far as color goes, if you’re building a US Army tank, the color should be OD or Dark OD. If you’re going with the USMC option, the color will be a Dark Bronze Green.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

OK Lads, I made some progress.
Today I painted the upper and lower hull using the salt technique to get some rust effects. The colour is Dark OD green from vallejo, using Stiks suggestion. I wanted to do the USMC colour but apparently so did everyone in Nova Scotia because my lhs was out of it.
I am really enjoying this, and I think I could do a good job when its done. The exhaust pipe I painted blue with baking soda mixed in to give it a rough texture which I learned from QDC748A on youtube.
The turret only has 1 layer of green, that's why it looks so red. I just put it on for show.
Now what has me stumped is how to work with these rubber tracks. I don't know what paint will adhere to them, and they are a slightly shiny gray...
Also this website is great! https://mikesresearch.com/2020/11/29/pa ... n-vietnam/
I want to do more Vietnam era vehicles, including the A1 Skyraider and the M-50 Ontos
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:shoutout: Looking real good so far! Gonna be a nice dirty tank, like the ones in the field usually are :wink:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Thank you Stik! I was going for a super dirty tank, I have watched a lot of Night Shift on youtube, and got really inspired.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I have no idea who or what Night Shift is on YouTube. But if you google for images of M48 Vietnam you’re sure to come across lots of photos you can use for reference.

FLSM
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

I have been, that's how I found someones own research site for Vietnam tanks. Good stuff!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yeah, that Mike’s Research blog is a great source!

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”