Trench-Tank Diorama, in 1/72 >NO PICS<

Here is the place to show of your finished armor products.
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Trench-Tank Diorama, in 1/72 >NO PICS<

Post by CallSignOWL »

WIP here: http://www.spamodeler.com/forum/viewtop ... lds+a+tank

I picked this up at the local HobbyTown. The club was doing a WWI group build/contest and I decided to do something a little bit different. Im normally an aircraft modeller, so a tank kit will be a bit of a surprise! This is in 1/72 scale, so yes. tiny!

The kit builds up quickly, and by the end of the night, I had the entire hull assembled. As for camo...the box schemes called for just a solid khaki or grey but those were boring. so I looked online for some inspiration and this is the one I ultimately went with

while the paint and weathering was setting I decided to craft a small base for my tank: the tank will be coming up an incline and over a trench. I picked up a cheap wooden base from Hobby Lobby, and blocked things out with foam board and celluclay. Sculpey clay was used to make sandbags.

After some very helpful feed back from some of the armor guys at the IPMS club meeting, I added a walkway to the trench area along with a couple soldiers. The trench fortifications are scrap balsa wood we had laying around the art room, and the grass is bristles off a brush. The blasted-apart "tree" was a root a dug up in the back yard.

Here are the painted army guys. They are actually French figures, because I couldnt find any Germans! The uniforms look pretty similar to my untrained eye, so Im hoping the paint will help the illusion

(flash)

(without flash)
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Re: Trench-Tank Diorama, in 1/72

Post by CallSignOWL »

FINISHED DIORAMA!!
At the club contest, the tank won FIRST!! :shoutout:

Comments and Critiques welcome!
:writing:
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

THAT's your first Armour build!?!? :yikes: - superb work, it looks fantastic - and I like the phot's too, the sepia one looks almost real.

Very well deserved first place!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

portman wrote:THAT's your first Armour build!?!? :yikes: - superb work, it looks fantastic - and I like the phot's too, the sepia one looks almost real.

not my first armor, but my first tiny scale diorama! Im thinking of picking up more 1/72 tanks, so I can do a whole series of little dio's.... :hmm:
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

CallSignOWL wrote:
portman wrote:THAT's your first Armour build!?!? :yikes: - superb work, it looks fantastic - and I like the phot's too, the sepia one looks almost real.

not my first armor, but my first tiny scale diorama! Im thinking of picking up more 1/72 tanks, so I can do a whole series of little dio's.... :hmm:
I'd say do it!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Owl, welcome to my world! I'd say your first Braille Scale armor was a rousing success! Outstanding work and that last pic was amazing! I had to look twice to be sure it wasn't the 'reference' pic you used to build this. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your small dios! Congrats on the win; you truly deserve it!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

Duke Maddog wrote:Owl, welcome to my world! I'd say your first Braille Scale armor was a rousing success! Outstanding work and that last pic was amazing! I had to look twice to be sure it wasn't the 'reference' pic you used to build this. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your small dios! Congrats on the win; you truly deserve it!
wow, thank you, duke!
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

What an outstanding diorama Owl !

Yes, I think so too, more of dioramas a la 1/72 thank you! :-)

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

Owl, you have to be one of the most quickly learned modelers I have even seen. I just wished that more people your age would apply their artistic talents in such a medium. Owl, you are really an inspirational builder with your finished product. Keep it going, I enjoy seeing your builds.
Rob Bye

Post by Rob Bye »

That's an impressive build. You can be justifiably proud of your efforts. :shoutout:

Return to “Completed Builds: Armor”