Jo-Han Dyno Don Maverick-More Engine Detail-12/17

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
mustang1989

Jo-Han Dyno Don Maverick-More Engine Detail-12/17

Post by mustang1989 »

I'm doing this one under Blacksheep's Dragster GB and figured I'd bring 'er out in the open.

I haven't done a race car in I don't know how long but I've had this Jo-Han Maverick in my stash for a couple of years and wanted to build it but didn't know what theme I was going with until I saw Don Nicholson's ride. I knew right away that I HAD to build it....and so.....along with my re-intro here I'll give this my best shot.

The kit (I bought this kit a couple of years back for $50......you don't EVEN want to know what it goes for these days....WOW!!)

The Subject:

LyleW
Admin

Re: Jo-Han 1971 Maverick-Dyno Dan's Ride

Post by LyleW »

Cool! The Mavericks and Pintos were so much better looking that the Chevy offerings of this type. Had a 74 Pinto and survived a rear end collision!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks Lyle. I've always liked the look of the Mavericks as well. My brother is a REAL Maverick fanatic. I always regarded the Pinto as a fairly decent looking ride as well.

The chassis has undergone extensive modification in the last couple of weeks. Initially I was headed in a direction with the rear suspension that just wasn't looking right but have since made some changes. First off the front subframe area was shortened by 5/16 of an inch which looked ok but I had to acquire another Mustang kit in order to cut the rear frame rails from it to use in bringing both frame rails further inside to allow those rear slicks to further UNDER the car like the reference shot.

Before:

and after repositioning the rear frame rails inwards towards the center of the chassis:

Before the chassis mods the rear tires were just hanging out there waaaay too far as in this photo:

This will be alot better. Gotta get the ride height correct for the rear as well as in the front but that shouldn't be much of a problem. I've also got some better wheels inbound which should help this build out ALOT.

Last edited by Thomas_M on Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected picture link - Thomas_M
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

The local road we used to hang out for the gearhead days had a guy who had a Pinto with a 460 in it. The Chevy guy had a Monza with a 454
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Nice! Good job on relacing the rear frame!
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

tempestjohnny wrote:The local road we used to hang out for the gearhead days had a guy who had a Pinto with a 460 in it. The Chevy guy had a Monza with a 454
Those would both be insane cars to see!!! :shoutout:
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thomas_M wrote:Nice! Good job on relacing the rear frame!
Thanks Thomas! That....was a ton of work!!

I didn't like the interior much on this kit. For one....I cannot STAND molded in foot pedals and I don't care for the ejector pin marks in all four corners of the flooring either. And they are like in painfully obvious and highly visible places. It's not "correct" but I had to modify the rear of the interior to move those slicks further inboard so they don't protrude outside of the rear fenders all crazy looking. I also had to modify the rear of the chassis alot (which I am still working on) for the same reason. Secondly, this kit is severely lacking in detail so I'm hoping to improve on that as time goes along here.
A shot showing the OOB molded in pedals and flooring.

another shot showing the interior mods a little clearer:(as well as those nasty ejector pin marks):

We start the mod process by sawing off the toe board/ lower firewall area of the interior:

and then after the new Evergreen floor and lower firewall area were cut to fit and moved into place. There....much better.

speedgraflex

Re: Jo-Han 1971 Dyno Don Maverick-Interior Mods

Post by speedgraflex »

Nice. With all that’s going on, I wonder if you’re going to tackle the interior of the doors, sir? Those look quite sincerely much too fancy pockets in their stock trim, although I wonder if your prototype even had those pieces, or if these were stripped clean and the interior handles flossed? Just checking!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks Bruce! Yeah I'm going to take care of those door armrests, handles and window cranks. The real car actually had all that stuff except for the window crank handle. Whole OOB interior is practically void of ANY detail. I think the dash might actually be alright but that's about it. :headslap:

Check the interior shot here:

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0112-12125 ... -maverick/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks, Joe—the auction shots are the same as some shots I saw taken of this car in the seventies; someone did a fantastic job maintaining the car. The shots I saw were probably not running shots, or during the race—but everything basically looked stripped. I noticed the door handles were kept, which is cool. My Dad just had this thing about removing those and adding solenoids and whatnot to ‘em. Or just welding ‘em shut.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”