Drag Car Extravaganza

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
Dragline
Advanced Member

Drag Car Extravaganza

Post by Dragline »

Ive been inspired recently. With the outpouring of concern for my well being I think it only appropriate that I Throw up some work of some years ago.

It's no secret I love NHRA Drag Racing so this post is a tribute to the fastest sport on the planet. Nitro Drag Racing.

Last edited by Dragline on Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now that we know that.... What have we learned?...
Dragline
Advanced Member

Re: Drag Car Extravaganza

Post by Dragline »

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Holy COW! I love funny cars, they are my favorite race cars out there. What paint is used on the orange/red funny car? Looks super! What kit is the Dodge Charger funny car? I Must find one
You do a fantastic job with the plug wires, they look very convincing
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Man, those are sharp!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

Ceaser_Sa1ad wrote:Holy COW! I love funny cars, they are my favorite race cars out there. What paint is used on the orange/red funny car? Looks super! What kit is the Dodge Charger funny car? I Must find one
You do a fantastic job with the plug wires, they look very convincing
Thanks Declan. The Revell Chi-Town Hustler kit is from about 2007/08 I think. They are easy to find on eBay. There is also a Hawaiian Charger as well. They are beautiful kits and really accurate as well. The paint on it is a Duplicolor touch up paint from any local auto parts store. They have an extensive line with some fantastic colors. It is also a synthetic laquer so just about any clear coat goes over it no problem.

As for the extra details? There are turned aluminum fittings and well as PE linkages and scratch built fuel blocks and valves. I use a LOT of reference photos to make these things. I work slowly and build up to final pieces. I use paper clips for support and for the lines to attach. Lots of drilling and eyeball engineering to say the least. I buy aftermarket plug wires and also scavenge thin wiring from things like old electronics because they are generally in scale. My bench is loaded with this stuff and the investment I have into it is something I'd rather not dwell on for too long. LOL

My Bench

Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

LyleW wrote:Man, those are sharp!
Thank You Lyle...
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Really nice work brother. You know I'm a fan. I'd like to hear how you attach braided line to plastic. Great details and really cool subjects. I also really like the AFX cars as well. I'm sloooooowly working on Garlits' 09 Challenger Drag Pak
Thanks,
John
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

Thanks John, I appreciate it.

That Drag Pack car will be killer once you are done. Don't give up on it.

Braided lines onto plastic eh? It's a long process to write out. The short answer is in a couple of things really. Putting on the machined fittings BEFORE you attach the line. Then, I fill the braid with a copper or plastic coated wire. I does not allow the braid to collapse. I've seen great details on drag cars only to be let down by collapsed braided line. Fill the line after you've measured what you'll need to make the connection. Make certain the braid is cut straight and NO fraying. That is important. Already have the fittings required on the braid. If you use hollow hose it can be glued onto the pin in the valve or distribution block you already have in place. Wick some thin SG onto the braid and make certain it is all laying down nicely. THEN, slide up the fitting into place. it should have a finished appearance and be secure at that point. Then paint the fittings your favorite clear red and blue. I sometimes scrape the dried paint to show wrench marks on the fittings since they are on and off the car all the time. Just the high spots on the edges with a sharp blade.
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Thanks Bob - great advice.
Thanks,
John
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

Found a pic of the underhood.

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”