Drag Car Extravaganza

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Drag Car Extravaganza

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I used to build funny cars and Pro Stockers in my teen years. The only type I’ve never, ever done are the rail dragsters. No lie! Gotta add a couple of those to my stash. Love them all you’ve done! That blue one with the funky 60s vibe really stood out.

Is that Don Garlits’ Swamp Rat rear engine rail dragster?

When I start any funny car kits, my goal is to dress it up with braids, wires and other aftermarket goodies. They’re definitely going to be slow builds.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Those are some out of this WORLD builds Bob!! I'm right there with you on inserting something into the braided lines so they don't look flat or deflated. lol. I use solder for mine which is pretty pliable but the concept is still the same as your great idea.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Your cars look sensational Bob! That is some beautiful work man. :shoutout: I remember when the first real Funny Cars appeared; really not more than altered wheelbases and relocated engines at first. When tube-framed Funnies appeared, I was inspired to "roll my own" and built several with completely scratch-built chassis and cockpits. I used Pic Up Stix for the frame tubes and made the interior aluminum work out of cardstock. All the bodies were hinged and they compared pretty well to the Funny Car kits then on the market, circa 1967-69. I believe all of those scratch-built cars wound up in bits and pieces though as they were tossed into boxes for storage.

Bob, it appears that you are a very masterful car builder! :bow:
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

High praise indeed coming from this talented lot of builders!

Yes, that is Garlits Swamp Rat 1R, his first rear engined car.

Thanks for the praise Gary. I have not turned out to be much of an aircraft builder [Yet!], but I'll be working on it once I get settled into wherever I land.

I have more and will post them here as I find the folder.

You guys make life just that much better and easier for me. For that i thank you.
Now that we know that.... What have we learned?...
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

I found some pictures of the Snake RE Dragster in progress. I'll get around to finishing it at some point. I looked at the date these were taken and was shocked that it has been 7 years since I stored it away. I need to start finishing more of these things. But sometimes I see a bright shiny light and I follow it to some other rabbit hole.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I really need to add a rail dragster or two in my stash. Hopefully I'll score one at the upcoming Syrcon 2021 model show October 7th.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Nice Bob! I want to add those fuel lines like you did to my next nitro monster. Love the addition of the Christmas Tree. Spent time staring at that from behind the wheel! Awesome stuff
Thanks,
John
Dragline
Advanced Member

Post by Dragline »

I did too. I had a 71 Pro Street Vega that was back halfed and had a 383 stroker and a T-10 four speed. The first time I ran it in New Hampshire I put it on the bumper with MT Sportsmans on it. I ended up getting bars for it and it ran 9.76 at 132 when it grabbed. I had to get the cage certified and then i started running in the heads up class. I also ran it on the street which quickly became a No No here in Mass. Almost lost my license a couple of times during the mid 80's. For the 80's I had one of the fastest cars around.

I sold it off and the man who bought it threw a blower on it and painted it bright yellow . It had a fully beaded aluminum interior and Alston rear clip with a tilting glass hood. The whole bit. Now it is cherry red and sports a turbo 400. It still prowls the streets here occasionally. Mostly car shows though. I'll bet it never turns a wheel in anger anymore. Such a shame.

2 summers of drag racing and all the money was more than my wallet could handle.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Good to hear your old car is still around. Did you ever wished you want her back? I know some folks do wish they had their first car back. I know I did. I had a ‘64 Dodge Dart with push button automatic, 227 cu slant 2 in dark blue. I got it from my grandmother for me to use for college. Sadly, I didn’t have it a summer until one day I felt/heard something fall off on the highway. Come to find out a piece of rusted frame fell off and car was deemed not safe to drive. Had to take it off the road and find another car to use for college.

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Man that DO do sum suckin' right there. Hate that when that kind of stuff happens.....and to such a cool car at that. :sad:

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”