1/35 Academy Légion étrangère

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
Stikpusher

Re: 1/35 Academy Légion étrangère

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks Joe. Figure painting is a serious challenge for me. And the more involved the uniform, be it camouflage or dress, the greater the challenge. :headslap:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Right??!! I have the highest admiration for folks that can pull good figure painting/ building off. It's a skill that I'd like to master one day as it would greatly enhance my aircraft or auto builds for that matter.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Indeed! A good figure paired with an aircraft or vehicle build gives a fine sense of scale and context to that build.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Today was dry brushing on the uniforms and equipment, along with a bit of detail painting.

Tomorrow I just need to do some dry brushing on the skin areas and finish up the Kepi, then I’ll call these two done

FLSM
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Very nice figure work, Carlos! I also like the topic. Pretty overlooked not only by the modeling world.
I can really recommend the book (magazin) series "Africa@war". Very well reseached material on many theaters where the Foreign Legion and other Imperial Armys came to action. The two editions about the two Kongo wars were an eyeopening read.
https://www.helion.co.uk/series/africaatwar.php
Also worth mentioning are the pictures of super rare military equipment that served on both sides. Especially the flying material had the craziest schemes and patterns.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thank you Torben. I agree about the various African wars being overlooked by modelers. Yet it is a very rich subject area with so many possibilities. This figure set has sure lit my fire to get some vehicles to pair up with these guys.

During my time in the Army and elsewhere I came across several guys who had served there in either South Africa or Rhodesia armed forces and then come to the US afterwards. They had interesting tales to tell.

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Sorry for being late to comment Carlos but just wanted to echo what everybody else has said - excellent work on these figures and what a great choice of subjects. I've always had a lot of respect for the FFL.

Like Joe has said, Figure painting is something I'd love to be able to do but I've always chickened out!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Stuart is not the only one late to comment, but those figures look really good, very good!

The barrier for me is way too high still, to try figures. But then again, without trying nothing will happen.

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Very true Kari!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart wrote:Sorry for being late to comment Carlos but just wanted to echo what everybody else has said - excellent work on these figures and what a great choice of subjects. I've always had a lot of respect for the FFL.

Like Joe has said, Figure painting is something I'd love to be able to do but I've always chickened out!
Thank you Stuart. I say try figure painting, it’s quite fun. You can find sets like this for very little cost to start out with. I’m still not keen to invest in costly resin figures.
KSaarni wrote:Stuart is not the only one late to comment, but those figures look really good, very good!

The barrier for me is way too high still, to try figures. But then again, without trying nothing will happen.

- Kari
Thank you Kari. And yes, if you don’t make an effort to start, you’ll never improve. Very true!

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”