The Black Bridge. 1/87 HO Scale Diorama. Scranton, PA.

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
LyleW
Admin

Re: The Black Bridge. 1/87 HO Scale Diorama. Scranton, PA.

Post by LyleW »

Oh, the graffiti options......
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Carlos, I was initially going to ask for permission to post this topic here, but I went ahead and I am glad I did. Thank you so much for what you wrote - and also what you wrote about using Gunze paints on your RAF Hurricane! I’m grateful to be associated with good company. I do hope we get to shake hands in person some day soon.

John, Were you a fan of the X-Files? I was also into reading wonderful paperbacks about Roswell UFOs, the Mothman Prophesies (a great, somewhat forgotten gem of a film was made as well). There was a local bookstore that had those books “used for a buck in a barrel.” This year I started getting spooky in August by reading “The Stand,” which is just about perfect to describe the events of late. Why not a government experiment to create a bio weapon gone wrong? Anyway that was the unofficial start of fall for me. Now this is the nadir of the season, and I am sitting with boxes of old brass trains and last night’s pumpkin contemplating the latest round of fires affecting California. Earlier I watched a local news show detailing “Ways to save money in Los Angeles.” The top tip was to “live with a relative and save on rent.” This came hard on the heels of an ad for housing in San Diego, which you may have seen, with a garden shed with no plumbing being offered as affordable housing... for $1500 a month. Wow! Talk about a world turned upside down inside out and sideways all at the same time!

Beam me up, Scotty.

Lyle, Thank you for letting me post this diorama. I breathed a sigh of relief because really I was not sure if this was the right thing to do, but what the heck, these are models, in a diorama setting. I was planning to model the PRR in the 1950s just like my Dad did. Mainly so I can use his rolling stock and both steam as well as diesel locomotives, so I need to research graffiti options, but I know there has been graffiti since those Lascaux cave days! Maybe “Kilroy was here” is an option.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

DESIGN No 2

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

A super interesting project! It also has an emotional background, which I always like. I think your scratch building abilities will be challenged with this one, young Padawan.
Check out "Dioramasphere" on FB, he has some fantastic how-to's that might come handy!
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you, Mighty T. What a great suggestion! I also was going to start looking for books by diorama champion Howard Shep Paine. I’m sizing the overall footprint to fit inside a Bankers Box for easy transpo. Given the shaky situation of life in Los Angeles, I need all of my Dad’s toys, basically “Bruce’s Childhood,” to fit in the trunk of my car. It’s weird to think in terms of disaster or end of the world stuff affecting one directly, but there it is. The Disaster Plan. A med kit, water and a radio. Clothes and a notebook. Extra batteries. Plus I just watched “The Road Warrior” so I need a music box. Can’t be too careful out there. Might run into a feral kid in need of entertainment.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Don’t forget a sawed off double barrel 12 gauge shotgun and a boomerang. :ballbat:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Don’t forget a V-8 Interceptor. “If you wanna get out of here, you talk to me.”

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Cool project Bruce! Also a great story about the black bridge. It's the same here in rural Indiana don't do anything in threes
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Clint, thank you so much for your words. I remember driving from Chicago to South Bend as darkness was falling, and the towns disappearing into some dizzying abstractions of yellow sodium vapor lighted highways punctuated by flickering gray strobes of TV sets, and the steel bridges sang beautifully under the tires as we shot into that secret heart of the Midwest. I remember standing on a highway beside a closed up Dairy Queen looking at a field of corn that led straight to the horizon. A place of ghosts, indeed—and a place where “deeds not words” meant something greater to those whom I met (I was there as part of a group art show at Purdue). Never in threes. That’s right.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I need to visit that part of the country one day. By a road trip of course...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”