The Black Bridge. 1/87 HO Scale Diorama. Scranton, PA.

Here is the place to show off the progress on your figurines and dioramas.
LyleW
Admin

Re: The Black Bridge. 1/87 HO Scale Diorama. Scranton, PA.

Post by LyleW »

As they say in the mountains of Kentucky...”that’s real purity.”
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Indeed, I have heard the wondrous dialect and thank you for your reminder as well as your compliment. I need to figure out an optimal photography solution for these sooty pieces, I think I will need to bounce light off a white card which in this case could be a sheet of white paper taped to cardboard. The phone sensor is making too much hash from the details.

MOTIVE POWER: ALCO RS-3 "HAMMER HEAD"

PRR 8445 was built by Alco-GE for the Pennsylvania Railroad in December 1953. It is unique in that it has a raised short hood used to house the dynamic brakes and a steam generator for heating passenger cars. For obvious reasons it soon got the nickname “Hammer Head.” This unit is one of five RS3’s equipped with both dynamic brakes and a steam generator. PRR 8445 was built especially for helper service between Emporium and Keating Summit, Pa., on the Harrisburg-Buffalo line. The steam generator was installed to permit the 8445 to protect the passenger schedules on the line.

Yard photo, date unknown:

RLM 70! Thank you, Marius, for this suggestion.

First pass at details and what these are—

I am using this photo at the moment, although it represents the loco after being repainted in the Sixties. My time period is mid-late Fifties. Dang. Looks like I have the top grab handle in the wrong location—

It has been a long time since I went hunting for detail parts! Luckily there is eBay ready and waiting to take my money. Each of these cost a few bucks but the shipping costs add up.

At the moment I believe I have details to begin. I will begin with just the hood and cab section as a separate project. That way I will take this all the way to paint to see how things look without tackling the entire loco.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I'm loving everything about this... :wub:

Hi Bruce,

First off - my apologies for being late to the party, I very rarely look in on the Figs and dios section, very remiss of me I know and I shall keep a weathered eye on it in future. I love model railways and will be following with interest. - What a fantastic idea for a project and a wonderful tribute!

Secondly - I love the work you've done on that bridge on on the weathering of it and the wagon - superb both. there's something in the simplicity of that bridge that really appeals.

Thirdly - I always love a good ghost story, and what a beautiful part of the world. If I ever get to the states that the sort of place I'd love to see.

Fourthly :grin: - The rolling stock is beautiful :wub: I assume these are your Dads? Are they electric or static and did he build them? More info! :grin:

Fifthly - So how are you going about building the terrain etc?

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

You are hitting all the nails right on the heads...and any other cliche I can think of. Looks great. Wonder he there seems to be a pinch point on so many overpasses? See that a lot in pics.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks so much, gents. As you know I have been preparing for my job to end over the past few months. I was finally handed my hat a few days ago. So I immediately filed for unemployment as well as submitted resumes. I have a lot of work to do, and I am going to have to pack this project up for awhile. Although earlier today I found a 1/72 Ta 152H-1 and was a bit happy, because I am really kind of terrified at the moment. I think I can still work the 1/72 ideas to an extent, but my mind is basically stuffed with work-ideas and hobby time is limited. It is not necessarily the best sign to be putting personal items up for sale, but I need to bolster my income from all sources to make it through these next two months. I was hopeful to create a mini project herein with my Dad’s rolling stock (answering Stuart’s excellent questions now) and to finish what he started.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Wish you the best of luck Bruce, hope you find something new very soon.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Bruce, I’m sure that things will work out for you for the better. Having been thru some rough times in the past, I firmly believe that things happen as they do for a reason that we cannot see at the time when we go thru it. But after the fact and all the dust settles we are in a better place or position.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you so much, Clint and Carlos. It’s weird when you walk down the street and the strings have been cut. This was 2-1/2 years for me. This one started great then unraveled a bit more and more with the close of each year until I was barely limping along. The extra cash was at first most welcome but in the end the cash was never going to make up for the lack of momentum from the job itself. In the end I suspect that this job was holding me back, and I needed to move on. Maybe I wish it could have been more on my terms, but there is no use crying over spilt milk.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Bruce, you are moving in the right direction! Like you and others, I have spent time in this boat. Even took a temp job as a janitor. Perhaps going outside your field for a bit? Anyway, you are in my thoughts!

Return to “Work In Progress: Figures and Dios”