BSG Viper Mk II

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
speedgraflex

Re: BSG Viper Mk II

Post by speedgraflex »

Medic! You handled that gloss coat! Great job! What do you prefer using for gloss coats?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

speedgraflex wrote:Medic! You handled that gloss coat! Great job! What do you prefer using for gloss coats?
For now I'm using Model Master Acrylic Gloss. I'd like to try something else though. Never had much luck with Future.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks, Medic! I am taking notes on these projects and sincerely appreciate your replies and thoughts. I am following along with you!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I've never been brave enough to try Future on anything other than windows. I will say that when you start branching out from Model Master gloss that you'll be blown away. I've found my niche with lacquer based paints and glosses (but automotive subjects have swayed me that way). For this kind of project, however, I think I would try a hand at Tamiya Gloss Clear and cut it with lacquer thinner. Before that , what type of paints are you using for your color coats?
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

mustang1989 wrote:I've never been brave enough to try Future on anything other than windows. I will say that when you start branching out from Model Master gloss that you'll be blown away. I've found my niche with lacquer based paints and glosses (but automotive subjects have swayed me that way). For this kind of project, however, I think I would try a hand at Tamiya Gloss Clear and cut it with lacquer thinner. Before that , what type of paints are you using for your color coats?
I use acrylic paints. Anything from Vallejo, Ammo, AK, Bombshell Brew, Hataka and Tamiya.
Mike

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Tamiya's gonna be your best bet but you'll have to be careful what you thin it with when applying over acrylic coats. I've found that cutting the Tamiya Clear with their lacquer thinner works out best. Gives a pretty nice shine. If you've got a Tamiya color coat then you wont have any trouble. I'd be leary applying over Vallejo though. You might want to test it out on a spare plastic piece.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

mustang1989 wrote:Tamiya's gonna be your best bet but you'll have to be careful what you thin it with when applying over acrylic coats. I've found that cutting the Tamiya Clear with their lacquer thinner works out best. Gives a pretty nice shine. If you've got a Tamiya color coat then you wont have any trouble. I'd be leary applying over Vallejo though. You might want to test it out on a spare plastic piece.
:hmm: :writing:
Mike

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

So I went to decal the Vipers and hit a snag (to put it mildly). Tried to use one decal and it broke apart all over the place. I sprayed them with some decal bonder and hopefully that will work.
Mike

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

:headslap: Man...………….if it aint one thing in model building then it's another. Hang in there Medic. Looking forward to the recovery.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

mustang1989 wrote::headslap: Man...………….if it aint one thing in model building then it's another. Hang in there Medic. Looking forward to the recovery.
Thanks. If I have to I'll paint the red areas.
Mike

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”