1/350 The USS Johnston at the Battle off Samar WIP

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
speedgraflex

Re: 1/350 The USS Johnston at the Battle off Samar WIP

Post by speedgraflex »

This is a good discussion! I fall towards the extreme of "model"-mania; wherein I detail and detail one kit and tear it down and detail it again, so I work one at a time. I really am rather envious of everyone here who builds more than one kit at a time.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

LOL Bruce,
I envy those who can hold reign excitement, have patience and build one kit at a time.

Steve
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

I haven't done much on this lately so I just wanted to get some work on the books.
I worked some on the Fletcher stack PE. There is still quite a bit of PE work to do in this area including the mast and rigging. I'm trying something different. I'm going to get as much done on a section prior to installing it rather than installing it and then adding all the fiddly bits.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I have not built many ships. But yes, build and paint in sub assemblies as much as you can. Then put it all together at the end is the way to go.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

How are you doing with this project, Modelcrazy? I hope all is well! Cheers!!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

I will be returning to this as soon as the doctors allow to move to Boise. It's in the box safe and sound awaiting my return. :clockwatch:

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Can't wait to see this one back in action Steve. I'm reading the book The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors right now and am about halfway through it. She (The Johnston) just got through attacking the Kumano. Really incredible story so far. I skipped the intro story to this thread so I wouldn't spoil my book read but will come back and read it when I'm done reading it but it shouldn't take too long. Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thank you Mustang. That exact moment is going to be the point of the dio. The Bofors gunners firing, the 5 inch mounts turned to starboard as well as the torpedo crew on the mount facing starboard with the Johnston barring hard to port at flank speed. The kit was damaged by the time I returned however a friend of mine gave me a new kit and I bought a new set of PE for it. I will get back on it soon.
Excellent book by the way. I'm finishing "Shattered Sword" right now. Another excent read.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I had forgotten about this project Steve. Unfortunately when kits get put into storage for any reason, they do tend to come back out with some degree of damage. :headslap: Nice to hear that a friend is helping you get this one going again.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow!!! I never saw this one. This is an awesome build!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”