Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-5 Eduard 1/48

"Fighters of the Reich," which will include ALL aircraft served and designed (missed production, aka Luft 46) of the Luftwaffe during WWII.
AIRFIXER
Advanced Member

Re: Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-5 Eduard 1/48

Post by AIRFIXER »

Seeing this build progressing is a treat. Great work!
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I know ALL about that gunsight as far as Eduard is concerned! I had to glue it on there with a really light application of super glue of all things and hope it stuck to stay!!!! lol

Nice picture shot and close up by the way!
Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

This build is looking fabulous!
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Thank you Erik, Mustang & Handi!

Wheel wells are painted in RLM 02 (Gunze) with some shadings added. Sponge Bob heroical jumped in them to prevent the paintwork from primer-overspray. As always I used Vallejo Grey Primer. It's a polyurethane laquer with great self levelling quality and it's easy to achieve a really thin coat. On the other hand PU needs a bit longer to dry completely. I recommend 3 days+, in a higher humid maybe a week.
Unthinned it goes like a charm through a 0.25mm needle at around 15psi. It's possible to add up to 20% Vallejo Airbrush Thinner. On ratios higher than that it starts bleeding.

I'll be in Berlin over the weekend, so I can let it untouched until monday without getting cutty.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
wasabi
Advanced Member

Post by wasabi »

Nice work !
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Thank you wasabi and Jim!

Swimmingly? Not in every aspect. I decided to use one part of the PE set that replaces the bar in the canopy where the antenna wire runs through. The thin notch looks great so I thought it's worth the effort.
Eduards ways are fathomless again. To connect the bar with the headrest a section can be folded down to create a nice contact area. And on the other side? Just a butt joint between a flimsy sheet of metal and some styrene. Great!
Used one of the spare canopys as a jig for pre adjustment. Hope that some epoxy will do it. Would like to prime and paint the whole unit before putting it into the finished canopy.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Just browsed this build from step one. This is a very cool illustrated and ingenious build of a fighter that tries to fight its builder... :roll:
I am surprised about the Quickboost cowling: back then mine fit perfectly to an A-8. Good you could save the exhausts!

Clever jig to do this cockpit parts assembly in the last step! I wonder if some manufacturers really try to assemble their own stuff, or even make adjustments if this trial build shows some bad ideas...
pzl66
Master Member

Post by pzl66 »

Awesome work!! Cant wait to see more!
Messerschmitt 109 Addict
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Thank you very much, Thomas and pzl66. Glad you like it!

Don't know what happend with the QB cowling. Our member Norman had the same issues with his one. All dimensions of the part were too small, so I guess they used badly mixed resin that shrinked after casting. :?:

Spend two evenings with preshading. No chance for me to do it in one session, patience decreased rapidly after at most an hour.

Some touch ups have to be done here and there. Also a little gap in the elevator popped up surprisingly. :shock:
Modelling never leaves us bored... :lol:

Return to “Fighters of the Reich GB”