Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-5 Eduard 1/48

"Fighters of the Reich," which will include ALL aircraft served and designed (missed production, aka Luft 46) of the Luftwaffe during WWII.
AIRFIXER
Advanced Member

Re: Focke-Wulf Fw 190A-5 Eduard 1/48

Post by AIRFIXER »

Great progress, Torben.
Your Würger is coming along really nicely.

Cheers,
Erik
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Ok, I'm long over deadline and a new project's waiting right next to the bench. Time to finish this one.

The landing gear was shot with some brown tones out of a soaked brush.

Didn't want to overdo the exhaust stains, because the plane wasn't that old at the time I'm showing it. Started with highly diluted white, then some streaks of burned umber oil paint, wiped with a brush damped with lighter gas. At the end a bit flat black just behind the exhaust tips. Not that visible on the pic, the surface is still glossy and reflects.

The belly was shot with Tamiya Smoke in addition with wiped black oil paint.

Created the position lights out of stretched clear sprue (0.8 mm diameter). Rounded the tips with a fine grit and dipped them in Revell clear enamel.

Let them dry over night, cut the tips off and sticked them into the prepared holes. Make sure that you use white glue to fix them, CA or other stuff may be too aggressive and ruins your paintwork on this delicate parts.

The gear is well replicated by Eduard, but its a challange to align it properly.

Fitting the wheels causes another headache. Styrene has to be joined with resin, so no Tamiya Extra Thin here. CA on the other hand dries too quick (for me the sloth) to make sure that the wheels:
1. have a 8° angle to the gear legs
2. have a 90° angle to the ground
3. are parallel to each other

So I pulled out the MacGyver in me and ended with this.

Two-compnent epoxy for a reliable joint. Needs about 12h to cure. :sleep2:
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Very nicely done! Love the jig for the gear. Long live MacGuyver! Interesting tip about spraying through a soaked brush.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Now that's a great idea with the clear sprue and clear paint! Nice!
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

nathant wrote:Ooohh, wash came out very nice and subtle. Are you saying the Ammo pre-mixed stuff is hard to make flow into the panel lines? Never tried that stuff so I'm curious.
Sorry Nathan, must have missed your post 'cause of page change due to Erik's post.

The Ammo stuff flows nicely into panel lines, but I think I managed it to put a too thin coat of Future on, and so it was not perfectly smooth. And the Ammo washes need a very smooth surface, otherwise the period between "hey, I've wiped it all off" and "damn, it won't come off no matter how hard I try" lasts only a few minutes.

Thank you for following!
mlp
Advanced Member

Post by mlp »

not sure what to say? This is almost incredible attention to detail - great stuff!
Cheers
Martin

Welcome to my blog
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Thank you, Martin. Quite a compliment from a modeller like you.

The last days I spent some time to create a small base. I took the baseplate of an customised acrylic display case. Both sides of all parts of the cabinet are covered by a protective sheet.
I marked the outlines of the planned landscape on that foil and cut it out. After that I sanded the surface to achieve a rough surface for the following materials to grip on. I started with gras mat from Green Line. Pricey but great stuff with a carrier material that softens when moistened and can be ripped like wet paper. So it's easy to achieve fringed borders. To fill the space between lawn and sod I used acrylic paste from Lukas, coloured with several shades of brown from Vallejo. After letting that cure over night, an oil wash (black and burnt sienna) was applied to blend it all together.
Due to a high concentration, ignoring everything else modelling flush, I forgot to take pictures during the creating process. Gone to bed 01:30 a.m. on a Wednesday. :sleep1:

To match the acrylic housing an - you won't imagine - acrylic name plate was ordered.

Now I'm waiting for my nerves to reach weekend-smoothness to tackle the fiddly bits like antenna, pitot tube and landing gear indicators.

:bye: Torben
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

The etched acrylic plate is really cool! Looking forward to the pics with the plane on the base.
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

This is one of my favorite aircraft to model, You have just made it more so. You have done a superb job.
tigrazor
Addicted Member

Post by tigrazor »

WOW! Stunning result all over. Where can you get those etched name plates from? Im looking for some new ideas for my figures & dioramas. ;)
"Did you really pay a big amount of money for only half a figure?!"

FB: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002809527929

Return to “Fighters of the Reich GB”