Do 335 1/48 Monogram

"Fighters of the Reich," which will include ALL aircraft served and designed (missed production, aka Luft 46) of the Luftwaffe during WWII.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Do 335 1/48 Monogram

Post by LyleW »

Week, schmeek. By the time we get home these days (6-6:30pm), it is almost bedtime (9 pm). Hopefully, that will change in 16 work days....
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I hear that! My build speed these days might as well be in reverse due to work and all the obigations, appointments and "johnny on the spot" repairs that need done around here.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Been slow going. Happy to report some progress though. Anyone that says the cousin to the Carpet Monster, the Hardwood Floor Monster, doesn't have a sense of humor, I'm here to prove you wrong. On Thursday, I had accounted for all the landing gear parts. On Friday, could not find the port side landing gear door. Looked everywhere...(side note, I did fine 2 more blades from the Williams C-46 props that fell out unnoticed...). I even swept the floor. I had given up and was going to just finish it off with what was left. I stopped for the day, went out of the room and there on the floor outside the hobby room was the gear door just lying there, laughing. At least I believe I heard laughing. Anyway, it is back on the bench.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Ha, laughing kit parts. Outside our hobby people call you mad for such incidents, but for us it's a common situation. Nothing to wonder about.

Keep building as long as the parts stay on bench!
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

Looking good Lyle! Keep at it ! :D
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

thanks, Brent. Have another chore today, though....see the crap sandwich post.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Well, found more missing parts. The loop antenna on the spine. Made one...only took a day or so! I was trying to make it out of plastic rod and having no luck at all. Then I remembered I had some thin solder and shazaam

Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

LyleW wrote:Well, found more missing parts. The loop antenna on the spine. Made one...only took a day or so! I was trying to make it out of plastic rod and having no luck at all. Then I remembered I had some thin solder and shazaam

Grenade pin? :yikes:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Closer than you know, Paul! Closer than you know. Now I have to try and shave the pin down a bit to fit. . . without breaking it. this is big-time scratch for me! :yahoo:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Been a piddlin' (as we say) with the Do-335. Here is what I want to reproduce: from airpages.ru

The camo is almost non-existent, but the German marking are faintly visible on the underside, so that is likely still the light blue. On the aircraft id on the sides, what you you guess that to be? "VG P" or "V6 P"?

I could use some advice on achieving this look. I plan on overspraying an olive drab with some black that has been thinned. Not sure what to do to get the faded, washed out look.

Here is where we are today:

"Grenade Pin" attached

Made a pitot tube from an old antenna...Of course I broke the original. Why wouldn't I?

Then we had the rear prop....had to come off so that the spinner could be removed.

and here it is for now

This has been a long battle with what should have been a very simple kit. Getting there is half the fun...or so they say. I appreciate the encouragement more than you can know. :dogwag:

Return to “Fighters of the Reich GB”