STAR WARS Group Build 2017

Organize a group build and see who is wanting to participate here.
Stikpusher

Re: STAR WARS Group Build 2017

Post by Stikpusher »

Bruce, I have a couple of the original trilogy snap title kits, the X-Wing and Y-Wing, the set of TIEs, and an AT-AT in my stash. The snap tites are just begging for extra work to dress them up a bit, so I will probably skip those. But the TIEs I have never built before, unlike the AT-AT, so one of those two is my most likely choice.
Or maybe I'll go to Hobby Lobby and see what of the new Bandai kits they have for 40% off... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Ok so although I've not been a huge fan of any of the later films, I still love the original films (and the 90's fan fiction), so I'm in. My favourite spaceship next to the Falcon has always been the A-wing, so not only have I put a bid on an old MPC kit I've also ordered a Bandai kit from the US (for £20 inc. P&P) - woohoo!

If it's alright for the GB I might build my own take on one of them, rather than a Rebel bird I might build a ship that is owned by a smuggler or trader - The sort of thing I dreamed up when I was a kid - Perhaps I'll rediscover my love of the Genre.

I've not built a Sci-fi kit since my Warhammer 40,000 days so it should be fun.

My the Force be with you!

Stuart
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Carlos, great ideas for a build; including the trip to Hobby Lobby. The current crop of Bandai kits are special. I believe it was Bandai who built their designs from scans of the studio models. I have a soft spot for the TIE Advanced model as well as the fighter version, so I am excited to see which way you go with this: either retro or modern!

Stuart, I share your affection for the original trilogy; I was fascinated with the "Despecialized" versions of Star Wars: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi produced a few years ago. I feel the alterations over the years took so much of the fluidity of the filmmaking away from the viewing experience--and I know I am not the only fan who feels robbed by the decision making involved here. There is a whole movement afoot to preserve the integrity of the original release. Perhaps where this becomes conflicted is when the vision of the filmmaker has become itself an issue with protecting the original negative. From what I know, the inside scoop is that the original negative may be damaged as a result of first and second generation digitizing and optical cleanup uses to remove sand particles. This heavily affected the film emulsion layers, for as I understand it, protective negatives exist for TESB and ROTJ, not A New Hope.

More recently, I tried to locate a theater in Los Angeles screening The Force Awakens in the director's preferred format. My search located just one theater, the Chinese in Hollywood, with a laser projector in IMAX format.

Like you, prequels and the current evolution of the universe cinematically are not favorites; however, I found great satisfaction in the Animated Versions, particularly the final season of the Clone Wars, which grew into a spiritual awakening for the Jedi Order.

Whoa. Major digression. Forgive me!

Any choice you make with the details of the ships is eagerly awaited! Tonight I will attempt to set up the SWGB Thread so we will be able to collect all of these ideas in one location.

The Force is with us!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I do have the 1/72 scale Bandai Starfighter X-Wing kit should I jump on board this one.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

BlackSheep, I have to admit that the Bandai 1/72 X-Wing is an obsession of mine; I would be over the moon to follow your build of this kit. It's one thing to watch a time-lapse video of someone building the kit, it is quite a better thing to follow along as someone you know reviews and builds a kit on a forum.... I hope you will join on the adventure with this technologically superb kit. That would truly add to the reviews of Bandai kits - the AT-ST, A-Wing and an X-Wing - plus I sense a possible Millenium Falcon may appear in the skies of Yavin.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

PUNCH IT, CHEWIE!

Hello and thank you for your interest!

Look for the STAR WARS Group Build 2017 to appear soon in "Member Group Builds." Logo Design for our group build is based directly on Joe Johnston's original Main Title for Star Wars from 1977:

Thanks again, everyone!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's a good logo Bruce - I like that one.

I've just relised that the MPC kit I've put a bid on is 1/48th! That should look good but I've no idea how good the kit is. However I'm sure the Bandai one will be great!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

The management is proud to announce that the STAR WARS GROUP BUILD 2017 is now an official member GB with its own subforum. Please feel free to open your own topics in it:

http://www.spamodeler.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=89
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

:hmm: Bummer. I've got nothing Star Wars related at the moment. Maybe soon.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Medicman71 wrote::hmm: Bummer. I've got nothing Star Wars related at the moment. Maybe soon.
I'm not getting tired to recommend those Bandai kits. Maybe one of the less complex and pricey 144 scale or box scale spaceships.
They're built on one afternoon and painted on the next. Think about it, Medic. They're great to keep the mojo runnin'!

Return to “Group Build Feeler”