Assignment Challenge Group Build idea

Organize a group build and see who is wanting to participate here.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Assignment Challenge Group Build idea

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Haven’t decided when I’d like to run this group build but but listen to my idea. Basically, it’s a assignment based group build to challenge those to build something one rarely or never builds assigned by their peers. For example, let’s say Stik rarely builds auto kits, Joe (mustang) never done armor, and Lyle gets his feet wet in jumping in building something sci-fi / space related.

How we determine who get assigned to build they’ve rarely or never done before is something I need to figure out. Thoughts?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Re: Assignment Challenge Group Build idea

Post by Stikpusher »

I suspect it will go one of two ways. One, a big hit as we step outside our comfort zones and find we enjoy the new genre. Two, a flop as we discover or rediscover why we don’t build in that particular genre and lose interest in the assigned project before completion. Or possibly some combination of the two as some participants run with it and others drop it...

One suggestion to lessen the possibility of dropping out would be to give each participant a choice of assigned genres.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Good points, Carlos. I don’t want it to be someone being forced into doing something out of their comfort zone. But the willingness to build something of a different genre one hardly builds is a consideration.

I know I’m willing to try my hand on ships, motorcycles, fire trucks, artillery apparatus and NASA related kits.

Like I said, it’s an idea and whether or not the interest is there to participate.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Quite an interesting idea. You nailed me on the sci-fi.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Jeeves
Master Member

Post by Jeeves »

Maybe do it like the Secret Santa exchanges I've done before on model sites. So submit your name and genres you'd be at least a little comfortable doing. So for me, for instance, sci-fi, autos, or figures are genres I have built much in but am open to.
Mike
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

This is a good idea I think, especially with the caveats in place. I for one am always challenged to build outside my scale. I've already done two 1/48 scale planes, a 1/32 scale plane and a 1/35th scale tank, so that challenge does not apply to me anymore. Anyone challenging me must keep it in my scale. That brings up another difficult issue: I've pretty much done it all: aircraft, armor, ships, space, sci-fi, automobiles and even a figure of the Headless Horseman.

Hmmm... :hmm: I may have to bow out of it and sit back to watch the fun.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Group Build Feeler”