Revell 1/32 UH-1D Gunship

Look here at SPAModeler kit previews and reviews!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Revell 1/32 UH-1D Gunship

Post by BlackSheep214 »

And I happen to come across the instruction guide from that very same kit yesterday. I've been busy cleaning out my dad's house for he has decided to he'll feel a lot safer going in an Assisted Live Adult Home instead of going home. He's been living there since mid-August. So who wants it? Yeah, I am serious and it's free at my expense for postage.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote:And I happen to come across the instruction guide from that very same kit yesterday. I've been busy cleaning out my dad's house for he has decided to he'll feel a lot safer going in an Assisted Live Adult Home instead of going home. He's been living there since mid-August. So who wants it? Yeah, I am serious and it's free at my expense for postage.
I have all my old instruction sheets going back probably 40 years now... but I must have built this one before then... I am tempted as I did build the original before then and did not keep the instruction sheet... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Stikpusher wrote:
BlackSheep214 wrote:And I happen to come across the instruction guide from that very same kit yesterday. I've been busy cleaning out my dad's house for he has decided to he'll feel a lot safer going in an Assisted Live Adult Home instead of going home. He's been living there since mid-August. So who wants it? Yeah, I am serious and it's free at my expense for postage.
I have all my old instruction sheets going back probably 40 years now... but I must have built this one before then... I am tempted as I did build the original before then and did not keep the instruction sheet... :hmm:
If you want it, it's yours.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Ah why not... I rarely get any mail I want anyways :wink:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

UPDATED 9/2/2015 - not much to report.

LyleW wrote:You guys know the history or the venerable UH-1 helicopter. It became the symbol of Vietnam for all of its uses and its ubiquitous presence. This kit was released by Revell in June 2015. I do not believe it is a new tool, but I cannot find the original release date as yet.

Product ID: 85-5536

Overview
Skill Level 2
Scale: 1/32
Length: 15-3/4"
Width: 3-1/8"
Height: 5-3/8"
Parts: 139

Sprues are pretty much as you would expect, all molded in dark OD plastic, except the clear (DUH) parts.

Decals:

The Build:
Interior is minimal at this point. It also has some minor fit issues. Locator pins don’t quite locate, tabs don’t always slide into place. . . and flash. Not much, but it is there as are the mold seams.

I don’t think I’ll do much weathering. One, I’m not very good at it yet and two I’m not very good at it yet. I have gone back and added some “wear” to the floor and will hit it with some additional dry brushing.

Seams and flash – could be a new TV detective show, but alas, no. Still a bit of touch up on the engine:

The choices made for attach points to the mold/sprue are curious in some cases. Below is a pretty fragile part – only one arm supported, hence:

The sprue attachment to the fuselage was down the entire length of the body and they were huge, spilling over into the inside of the seam – I did use the Tamiya sprue cutters and still this is what I got. Not sure it is all my fault.

[imagehttp://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a520/lwillis1/Revell%20UH-1D/DSC_0005_zps2zprkvtp.jpg][/image]

***UPDATED August 21, 2015 ***

Bought some clear green. This is the first time I've used this. It is from Tamiya. I even broke out the airbrush. One piece had some off the sprue in the bag, so I held it gently in a pair of pliers....or so I thought.

I have ordered another from Revell and I've not found the other piece of that window.

The interior went together without much fuss.

No seat belts included, so I'm going with what is in the box. . . or not in the box.

The interior assembly fits in place with no fuss and bother, rather nice.

The two fuselage halves fit amazingly well, and there were no gaps to speak of. There were a couple of small gaps, caused by my not clamping the halves together with enough force, but the seams were very straight and flat. Only problem was they were a bit uneven and required some dressing out.

Now to prime, mask or mask and prime. My favorites!

I spoke too soon on the windows. The chin, main windscreen fit very well. The upper left overhead has a gap at the forward edge, the doors and side windows all had those lovely placement tabs. These of course stick out into to the visible area. They are also not very tight fitting. I've made somewhat of a mess, but using the window glue, hoping I can clean up after myself.

Then there are those $%^& hinges on the front doors! And, the ejection marks (see white dot). Used Perfect Plastic Putty.

Got it masked, so to speak. Still no replacement "eyebrow" window for the right side, so I stuck tape to the inside. The front doors will not stay put.

Using a flat white primer from Krylon. Why? That is all I had handy. Ran out of the trusty Tamiya gray.

It looks a bit better than the pic. I had to stop when the door fell away yet again. I've learned to stop for a while when I get frustrated.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's looking great Lyle!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

UPDATE for 9/29/2015. One side has decals. A dreary, rainy day here today and tomorrow. Hope to get all decals on in a day or so. I do have a question, though. Should I seal the decals before hitting it with the dull coat? I haven't been in this position in a while and I simply don't remember the protocol.

LyleW wrote:***Update Sept 29, 2015 ***

Got most all of the fiddly bits attached and so far, I've not knocked anything off.

Added the air scoops on the top later. I'd like to tell you it was part of the plan, but I simply missed that step in the instructions. One of several.

Gloss coat applied. I used Model Master Clear gloss.

And one side decaled. Those yellow stripes and little-bitty stencil are a PITA. I will be hitting them again with some MicroSol.

That is all for today.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Not bad at all Lyle - it's looking really good.

How are you finding the kit overall? Granted it looks like a Huey, but is it an enjoyable build?

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

A few of the instruction pictures/sequence are a bit vague (to me, anyway) so I missed a few things...Like the closing piece for the pilot/co-pilot door hinges, etc. Not a biggie, since I do not normally keep the doors as a moveable item.

The instrument panel and pedals were a bit fiddly and did not set in just so. A few locating marks could have been a bit more aggressive in providing a positive fit.

But, interior fit very well into the fuselage, fuselage fit very well. Test fitting is a must, but not a bad kit.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

LyleW wrote:A few of the instruction pictures/sequence are a bit vague (to me, anyway) so I missed a few things...Like the closing piece for the pilot/co-pilot door hinges, etc. Not a biggie, since I do not normally keep the doors as a moveable item.

The instrument panel and pedals were a bit fiddly and did not set in just so. A few locating marks could have been a bit more aggressive in providing a positive fit.

But, interior fit very well into the fuselage, fuselage fit very well. Test fitting is a must, but not a bad kit.
Thanks Lyle - sounds like a fun kit!

Return to “Product Previews & Reviews”