Revell 1/32 UH-1D Gunship

Look here at SPAModeler kit previews and reviews!
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: Revell 1/32 UH-1D Gunship

Post by KSaarni »

Looking good Lyle, nice masking there!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

KSaarni wrote:Looking good Lyle, nice masking there!

- Kari
Thanks, Kari! Easy to do with no little windows to work around!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Well, I managed to mangle in many ways, the tail rotor decals. Red/White/Red band. I cut the white in half because you cannot see it on the paper they used. Decals are thing and somewhat translucent. They do lay down pretty nicely though. So I finally broke down and made up some . Picture for those inquiring minds later.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

****Update 10/3/2015 ****
Calling this one done. Lot's I don't like in what I did, but an awful lot that I do.

LyleW wrote:Calling this finished. There is much I like and things I don't, both in the kit and the builder.

Pros:
Not too many small bits to loose. Nice scale, 1/32.
The fit in most all cases was very, very good.
Thin decals. Laid down very well and took to MicroSol.
Several load out options and two version options.

Cons:
Thin decals - they were almost translucent so some look rather faint. I don't know if it ways my eyes or what, but the yellow stencils and anything white
(tail rotor stripes) were almost impossible to see.
Some pieces of the cockpit had small fit issues.
To me, some of the steps were not as clearly stated or marked as they could have been
Most windows fit quite good. The door "glass" was an issue with those little tabs.

Overall:
For me, it was a fun build. This is a good kit for someone needing a Huey in their collection in 1/32. This was built out of the box, but there are many, many opportunities to jazz it up if you would want to!

On much of it , I was quite satisfied with the effort. The widows are another story. Still a lot to learn in dealing with them. However, they are what they are.....and I managed to finish a build.

Many thanks to REVELL again, for providing this kit. We appreciate you!
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

A great build Lyle and a good honest review - interesting stuff.

Nice work - it looks the business! (Shame it's not 1/35, you could have done a M113 to go next to it).
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

portman wrote:A great build Lyle and a good honest review - interesting stuff.

Nice work - it looks the business! (Shame it's not 1/35, you could have done a M113 to go next to it).
Thank you, Stuart.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

A modeller´s review! Well done!

I agree on white or translucent decals being hard to see. Sometimes it helps to turn the decal paper to the light in an angle, so you could estimate the decal. Did you add the decals to matte colours, Lyle?
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thomas_M wrote:A modeller´s review! Well done!

Did you add the decals to matte colours, Lyle?
Thank you, Thomas. Not sure I understand what you are saying. I sprayed a gloss coat over the flat OD and after all was dry, sprayed the flat coat over everthing.
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Ah! Ok. Looking at the pictures I thought you had applied the decals to a matte surface.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thomas_M wrote:Ah! Ok. Looking at the pictures I thought you had applied the decals to a matte surface.
The decals were a nice change from the normal thicker ones with Revell. They snuggled down quite well.

Return to “Product Previews & Reviews”