What is dry brushing?

Have a question for us?
LyleW
Admin

What is dry brushing?

Post by LyleW »

Anyone want to fill this in?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
DoogsATX
Advanced Member

Re: What is dry brushing?

Post by DoogsATX »

Drybrushing is an older technique used to enhance raised and edge detail, or to weather surfaces.

Drybrushing involves loading a brush with the barest amount of paint possible. I get to this state by first wiping a paint-loaded brush on some fabric to get most if the paint off, then on post-it notes until it's almost invisible.

There are two main drybrushing "techniques" - sweeping and stippling. With sweeping, you just "sweep" the brush across the part's surface. The barely-loaded brush will deposit tiny amounts of paint onto raised areas, leaving the rest alone.

With stippling, you quickly make light stabbing motions. This is particularly useful for depicting chipping on seats, rudder pedals, wing roots and the like. It can also be used to create "dustiness".

I always drybrush with Model Master enamel paint and it seems uniquely well-suited to the task. My standard go-to color is Model Master Dunkelgrau, but other tan-gray colors tend to work as well, such as SAC Bomber Tan. For metal, I'll use Model Master Aluminum, and sometimes supplement with Model Master Metalizer shades (Magnesium being a favorite).
tigrazor
Addicted Member

Post by tigrazor »

Old technique - but still very helpful, especially if its combined with washes, shading (if you feel the need for it) etc.

In my experience, too, Enamel colors have better results, but that doesnt meen that acrylics arent possible at all. Like so often trial and error Id say. It works with almost every color.

The "stippling" Doogs mentioned can be varied by using a sponge instead of a brush - it will cause irregular shapes. Just make sure that the color isnt too thin and use a sponge that has no lints in it. Doing Figures and dioramas most of the time, thats helpful for the following tasks for example:

-rough textures like highlighting earth, cloth etc
-if you sweep the sponge, you can create stone effects like marble etc
-wooden textures

etc.

PS: Some weeks ago I saw a new product line from GamesWorkshop called "Drybrush color". Those are a bit sticky and.... useless. Enamel and "normal" acrylics work far better andcost less. Just my 5 cents. ;)
"Did you really pay a big amount of money for only half a figure?!"

FB: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002809527929
BsYamato
Addicted Member

Post by BsYamato »

For paint brush modelers thers another application for drybrush, blend colors between camo contous: i use humbrols enamels for best results (but model masters too i think) finishing the two main colors , painting colors again one of colors on borders (best the lighteen) and drybushe the darker color on the other

Mixing the two ways, sweep and stippling

BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Masterful brush work BSYamato, that just goes to show that an "old" technique can be very useful.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yup. One does not have to follow the latest fads to achieve excellent results. Master the basics, of which dry brushing is one, and you will be just fine.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Stikpusher wrote:Yup. One does not have to follow the latest fads to achieve excellent results. Master the basics, of which dry brushing is one, and you will be just fine.
On the other hand: I do love the black base fad!
ImageImageImageImageImage
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I still dry brush. It works!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Q&A”