enamel or acrylic

All things paint and/or airbrush related. Help, recommendations, etc.
Stikpusher

Re: enamel or acrylic

Post by Stikpusher »

Right right right! Just look at Gunze between their Mr Color and Aqueous lines. One cleans up with water, the other is impervious to water. Yet both are acrylics. I never knew that it was the pigments and not the Carrier that differentiates between the types. Thank you for the enlightenment.

I'm looking forward to your Mission Models Paints experiments. My last obtained airbrush came with some nice little stainless steel mixing cups that are perfect for such experiments.... and thankfully since I use siphon feed and not gravity feed airbrushes, any glop accidents have happened in the jar and not in the airbrush itself. Those glass jars are easy to clean up.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
RexCag
Advanced Member

Post by RexCag »

I actually didn't "learn" it. I only figured it out.

Think about it for a minute, and you'll see it too.

AKAN has three paint ranges, all with synthetic pigments,,,,,,,,,but, all three have different carriers in them. Water-based, Enamel and Lacquer.

Since one of the them, the Lacquer, can be thinned with the same thinner as "Organic Lacquers",,,,,,it must be the pigments and not the carriers themselves.

Also, in one of the "how they make a car" videos, they show the plastic being ground up for the "color coat, clear coat" system that modern car Acrylic Lacquer paints are using.

Then it got verified by one of the "paint chemist" guys on a modeling forum one time. (It might have been Susanna V during the old Warship.com days?)
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well, today I took the plunge and bought some of them...

Thinner, Olive Drab 319, and Tire Black. I stirred thoroughly, then shook them as well to be sure, as their website advises. Then I tried airbrushing the OD, thinned at a rate of 1 part thinner to 2 parts paint. Then I hand brushed the Tire Black. The paint brush cleaned very easily with water. While the air brush cleaned easily with their thinner. I am very happy with the results of both methods. I'll definitely be grabbing more colors in the line.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

You really don´t help me not to go and try another brand of paint, Carlos... Sigh...
:headslap:
RexCag
Advanced Member

Post by RexCag »

I know I ask some strange questions, Carlos. But, having said that, what do those smell like?

I am always looking for more options in the "Oh, you were painting today, I didn't notice" category, versus the standard "Oh My God, I can't believe you've been spraying that nasty stuff in the house again" category.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:giggles: Sorry my friends. To be honest, I did not notice any aroma or scent at all. Certainly not from the thinner. Compared to Gunze (somewhat pronounced) or Tamiya (less so), which both have a very mild smell, this was even less noticeable.

Thomas, I know it was likely not the wisest of ideas, to go out and get another brand. But no one ever accused me of being a wise man.

But for armor builders, they really offer so many colors not easily found elsewhere. They have Soviet & Russian, British "Caunter Scheme", NATO tri color, Panzer colors, IDF, US (several different Olive Drabs, always a plus in my eyes), many basic generics... brush painting gave good one coat coverage on unprimed plastic, and lots of play time. Brush strokes disappeared and the paint leveled out drying. Cleaning the brush in water was fast and easy. In those respects these paints remind me of the original Polly S. But they airbrush better. They airbrush well on bare or painted plastic. I'll check scratch resistance today, now that they have had time to dry and cure overnite.

In the next while I will toy with them in my stainless steel mixing cups to see how some generic liquids such as rubbing alcohol, etc. work with them. And of course, Model Master's Universal (although it's not really) Acrylic Thinner.

FLSM
RexCag
Advanced Member

Post by RexCag »

Thanks for the info.

Now that I know that they don't "stink up the place",,,,,,,,I will pull the trigger on a trial set just as soon as I "get my allowance." (lol, that is our term for the "Rex will blow money on his hobby" part of our budget)

Mission's two part primer really has me intrigued. As does the Pink primer for help in painting Reds on the model. Plus their Pink with some Red added may turn out to be my personal solution to finding the US Light Red FS color for my nape stripes.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Following this interesting thread....
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

RexCag wrote:Thanks for the info.

Now that I know that they don't "stink up the place",,,,,,,,I will pull the trigger on a trial set just as soon as I "get my allowance." (lol, that is our term for the "Rex will blow money on his hobby" part of our budget)

Mission's two part primer really has me intrigued. As does the Pink primer for help in painting Reds on the model. Plus their Pink with some Red added may turn out to be my personal solution to finding the US Light Red FS color for my nape stripes.
You sound like me. I had to wait until I had a little extra cash after my payday errands to go grab these. And yes, their color line up is intruiging. I next need to grab their Olive Drab that looks to be a good match for the Vietnam era shade used on US Army AFVs. It looks nice and dark. As well as the IDF and British WWII desert sans colors.
BlackSheep214 wrote:Following this interesting thread....
Please do. And if you happen to get some of these paints, please add your feedback on them.

FLSM
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Stikpusher wrote:...
Thomas, I know it was likely not the wisest of ideas, to go out and get another brand. But no one ever accused me of being a wise man....
I was talking of me, Carlos. :quotes:

Return to “Painting/Airbrushing”