Maddog Manufacturing 2017 Production Line

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Maddog Manufacturing 2017 Production Line

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks BsY. The Nightingale is finished already; I couldn't fix that one decal since I couldn't find the missing part and I have no replacement. Everything else went down well enough though. You can see it under my Finished Modeling New Years Resolution Thread.

As for the rest; I hope to have them finished up soon.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BsYamato
Addicted Member

Post by BsYamato »

Thinking that I have two nightgale and sure one will be in other markings. If you can't find replacenent at least I can send you the missing decals.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

That would be fantastic if you can. Thanks. I have this same aircraft in C-97 military markings yet to build. No civvie decals in that kit. Let me know if you can send it. Thanks again.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Okay, I managed to get some things done this past week so here's my latest update. First off, all of this is work on my Micro Modeling Month campaign subjects on another Forums. Then I did some work on the SPAModeler's review of the Hasegawa F-14 Tomcat Dual Kit for this site. I am showing the construction process here but the complete review is in the Members Reviews Forums.

I'll start with the MMM campaign models. I installed the completed cockpit inside the forward fuselage first:

Then I closed it up with some weight in the nose, just in case:

I also puttied and smooth out some seams that I had seemingly all over this model:

Just for fun, I put the two sub-assemblies together to see how this bird was coming along. Here they are dry-fit together:

Later on, I cemented the whole thing together and added the canopy after I dipped it in Future. This bird, once the canopy is masked; is ready for paint:

I also worked on my Hasegawa AH-1S Cobra for my US Army. I had a devil of a time with the cockpit decals. After 45 minutes of sitting in water; they still looked like this:

Finally, I just decided to let them dry and later on I simply cut them out with scissors and cemented them to their respective parts of the cockpit and instrument panels:

I was finally able to close this bird up:

After a few touch-ups and then some added details, I closed up the canopy on this bird as well:

After masking the canopy, this bird will also be ready for paint.

Moving on, I started the two F-14's for the review.

I started of course, with the cockpits. The kit offers a choice of Photo-etch parts and paint; or paint and decals. For the purposes of this review, I did one cockpit in each option.

To start out with, I assembled the four bang seats for both of these aircraft. The seats come in five parts each. The ejection seat handles are photo etch. I added them to the seats in the photo etch cockpit but left them off in the paint and decal cockpit. I will add them later to the second cockpit when the paint and decals are completed so as not to risk breaking them off and losing them in the process:

One thing to watch out for when attaching the side parts to the seat cushion: ejector pin marks that stick out. I had to remove a few on these seats to make things fit well:

This first cockpit was done with the photo-etch. As you can see, the photo-etch parts were not cut to shape to match the indentations and cuts on the sides of the basic cockpit tub, as well as on the back of the cockpit. I'm expecting fit issues in the future when it is time to close this particular cockpit up:

The second cockpit assembly went together easier:

Here is a shot showing the two of them side by side to compare how they look:

The instrument panels for the photo etch cockpit do not have photo etch parts for them. Instead, you are given color call-outs to paint in the details. I started to paint these instrument panels for this cockpit; the basic paint was laid down first:

The second set of instrument panels don't need paint as the decals for them already have the base color on each part. I didn't do the decals on them yet so they will be shown in a subsequent update.

While I had the paint out, I added the basic paint to both cockpit tubs to start them off. I painted the cockpit panels on the sides of the photo-etch cockpit so as to dry-brush some white or grey over them later to bring out the details. Here they are with the start of the painting on them:

That's all I have for now on these. I also completed a commission build which is also a Modeling Resolution model that I will be posting later.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

BsYamato
Addicted Member

Post by BsYamato »

Nice work on the rwo last :)
Duke Maddog wrote:That would be fantastic if you can. Thanks. I have this same aircraft in C-97 military markings yet to build. No civvie decals in that kit. Let me know if you can send it. Thanks again.
Give me the number of needed dacals, if the decal sheet was smaller I could send it the whole, but you know he's about a carpet :D
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

BsYamato wrote:Nice work on the rwo last :)
Duke Maddog wrote:That would be fantastic if you can. Thanks. I have this same aircraft in C-97 military markings yet to build. No civvie decals in that kit. Let me know if you can send it. Thanks again.
Give me the number of needed dacals, if the decal sheet was smaller I could send it the whole, but you know he's about a carpet :D

Thanks BsY. When I can find the instruction sheet with the decal numbers on it; I'll let you know. Seems that instruction sheet disappeared along with the Monkeemobile ones....
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

It's been awhile, but over the course if the last few weeks I've been able to get more done a little bit at a time. Only recently I've been able to get some airbrushing done.

Okay, let me start with some of my aircraft and helicopters.

I shot a coat of OD over my Dragonfly, only to find that one of the grid patterns on the wing root wasn't fully filled in:

So I filled it some more, sanded it, smoothed it out and then re-shot the OD green. Looks better now:

While I had the OD green out, I shot the two helicopters, first the Israeli Army one...

... and then the US Army one:

Finally, after a clearcoat I was able to apply the decals to the two Cobras:

US Army:

For the Israeli Army Cobra, I needed to remove the landing skids, so I took them off and applied the decals:

That snake decal was really hard to do. I also noticed that I need to remove that emergency triangle there. I had moved it to get the snake decal on and forgot to move it back into place.

Moving on, I also added a grey basecoat to the F-15E Strike Eagle using Euro Dark Grey first. Then I tried to modulate the color with Gunship Grey but it didn't look good. So, I tried to tone it down and blend it all with a misting of Neutral Grey. I might just have to re-do this whole plane as it doesn't look good at all:

The inside of the tail is not black; that is a shadow. This pic taken in a different locations hows that more effectively; as well as how bad the rest of this looks:

That is all I got done with my aircraft. I had also tried painting up the engine to the Monkeemobile. I'm not quite done; there's more I want to do to this:

Moving on, I had also painted my little FWD 3-ton ammo carrier when I had the OD out. Now to mask this and paint the camo pattern on this:

After that I couldn't do much more so I started a short-run Russian fuel truck from Military Wheels. First was the engine and radiator:

Next I did the upper cab, followed by the lower part:

I dry-fit these together to see how they fit. You can see now how short-run this really is:

After this I added my Mr. Surfacer 500 to this:

Gonna try sanding that later.

I started the chassis but didn't get very far at all:

Got tired of that and started the tank. It also had a rough assembly that I'll have to fix:

Oh well, it was only a $3.00 kit....

That's all I have for now, comments are welcome. Thanks for looking in.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice bunch that you are working on here my friend. I see that I'm not the only one who does some airbrushing, finds a problem, and goes back to address the problem, then does it again... what is it about this hobby???
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks for the compliments Carlos and that is a very good question. I had checked, re-checked and fixed that issue a number of times, but when I shot that first color, it still showed up! I'm glad it is finally done. I certainly have re-sprayed my fair share of models multiple times *cough*C-118!*cough* after finding something wrong!

Stay tuned, hopefully more to come soon.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Sounds good to me... My F-86 is fighting me at every step of the finishing process... even enamels are acting funky this time... well, I look forward to more progress from you.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Member's Gallery”