Maddog Manufacturing 2017 Production Line

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Maddog Manufacturing 2017 Production Line

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yesterday, my friend Harmon needed someone to sit at the Knights of Columbus Hall where we hold Hobby Day so that the gas company can get in there and inspect the gas lines and read the meter. He asked me to do this saying that I was free to bring something to build and stay as long as I like. I agreed and invited two friends to join me at the hall since the area is not the best, and I brought a lot of things to work on. We spent the whole day there at the Hall into the evening. This is all the progress I made yesterday on all my models.

I'll start with my F-14 Tomcat that I'm doing for my review here. It was the only aircraft I worked on yesterday and here is the progress I made. First off, I assembled the second fuselage for the F-14B since I'd already done the F-14A fuselage some time ago. Once that was done, I assembled all four of the engine intake trunks. There were six parts to each one and when you assembled the inside truck tube and inserted it inside the intake you need to clamp it shut since the sides of the intake part are slightly separated:

The intake trunks were designed to snap right into place in the fuselage assemblies and they do go in fairly well as you can see here on Tomcat B:

However, installation on each of these fuselages revealed a couple issues. I don't know whether it was because I mixed up sprues when building these or what, but when I installed the intake trunks to the Tomcat B, I had a gap on the inside of the fuselage where the trunks joined to the fuselage:

That gap did not occur on the outside and the intake trunks were installed on the correct sides; otherwise they would have never snapped right in due to the shape of the intake trunks. When I installed the trunks to Tomcat A, I had a different set of issues. The trunks didn't snap all the way in and the intake openings curved inward. I had to press down the front of the intake to cement them in place; as well as clamp the sides of the intake to conform properly to the fuselage:

Yet despite all this, the intakes on Tomcat A had no gaps at the joint; even after all that clamping:

Just some extra things to look out for when building these models.

These last two pics show the cockpit modules dry-fit to the fuselage sections to get an idea how they will fit. On the underside, they seem to fit smoothly with a flush joint:

However, if you flush out the bottom, you have a step along the joint on top. I apologize that it isn't seen too well here in this pic:

Right now, I'm not sure what is the best way to fix that issue, so I put these away to figure it out another day. I should have some ideas in a future update.

Moving along, I was getting tired of my Russian aircraft carrier languishing on my workbench. It was time to get the rest of the decals laid down on the deck. After two and a half hours, I finally succeeded in getting 98% of the deals laid down on this deck:

There are still a few more that need to go on. Since the last decals need to be placed on top of existing decals, I need to let these dry and clearcoat them to seal them before I finish this deck. More to come on that later; once these decals are done, this model will start to move a lot faster.

Finally, here is my latest progress on a lot of the armor I've started.

I'll start with this crazy Sherman from UM. I managed to install that bolt strip on the forward hull over the strip styrene parts I glued in to hold it:

Gator Grip Glue is perfect for this. After that it was time to do the photo-etch on the bogies. Fortunately, this kit gives you a plastic template piece to use to bend the photo-etch into shape. This is one of the smartest and only good thing about this kit:

I was told afterward that if I had annealed these parts, they would have bent better. Oh well, lesson learned. They still turned out well and were simple to do:

Finally all the photo-etch parts were installed and this was ready to close up:

In this pic you can still see one of the shortcomings of this kit yet again. When I dry-fit the top hull onto the lower hull; it showed that the P/E bolt strip was too narrow so I'll have to do some fancy filling there above it:

After that I'd had enough of this so I moved on. It was time for something easy. The decals for the Military Wheels Russian Fuel Truck were unmitigated crap that shattered into tiny shards, so I had to find alternates from my spares box. These new decals look quite good in my opinion:

I just have to dullcoat this and weather it and this truck will be done.

Speaking of easy, I added the decals I wanted to use on the T-14 Armata:

After that, I added the machine gun on the top of the turret and then installed the photo-etch bar armor to the hull:

I'll be brush painting the camouflage pattern on that bar armor once it is fully set. After that will be some light weathering and then this tank will be done.

Finally, it was time to buckle down and get the roadwheels done on at least one of my Type 89 Japanese tanks. Here you can see two of the bogie assemblies. These go on only one side of the tank. The Exacto blade is there to show you how truly small those 16 little wheels are that I had to install one at a time on the suspension parts:

Once all 32 wheels were cemented to the suspension parts, I installed the completed bogies and the completed rear sprocket wheel in place:

Later I had to build the drive sprocket and add it to the outside suspension cover. These were then installed on the tank:

These are some funky little tanks. That's where I stopped on this to prevent myself from getting permanently cross-eyed. One down, one to go.

Last but not least, I wanted something simple and fun to build. Out came the USAAF re-supply set. Even though the axle on the bomb trailer is still broken, I decided to finish off the bomb trailer assembly. That way I can just fix the axle and get it painted. Here it is fully assembled:

Next I moved on to the Tanker tractor. I assembled the suspension, engine, drive train and other parts onto the chassis. This is incredibly detailed:

I finished off with some of the parts on the top of this chassis:

Next I finished up the cab and hood to the extent that I could before painting:

The rest of this will be finished once the interior is painted up. Now that I had the cab finished, it was time to build the tank trailer:

I'll be leaving the doors open to show that nice hose and pump assembly inside. This is one big truck:

Finally I had all the vehicles in this set almost all ready for paint. I do still need to add a few more parts to the bomb tractor. I hope to get that done soon and be shooting some paint this coming week:

Okay, that's all I managed to get done yesterday. It's amazing what I can do when I have a whole day to myself just to build; especially when I also have the room to spread out. What a great, productive day!

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Mark that Airfix USAAF vehicle set looks so good! The bomb trailer is far better detailed than the one that comes with the Monogram 1/48 B-17. I'm looking forward to seeing those built.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

I'm always amazed when I see what's going on in here. So many kits in the making and most of them end up on the shelf within weeks. You have the right spirit, Duke!
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

mostrich wrote:I'm always amazed when I see what's going on in here. So many kits in the making and most of them end up on the shelf within weeks. You have the right spirit, Duke!
:that:
I agree with Torben! Mark, you bring excitement to these hallowed halls. I just received a box from VolksUSA with glue, the Concept Book for the Ta 152, and the photo-etch; I came here for a visit... and you mentioned Gator Grip Glue. Is that what Carlos mentioned he uses on his PE parts, too? My pea-sized brain is exploding between all of the work you are gettin' done with such vigor, vim and verve, all of the tips herein, and the tips hereout... Great work, Mark!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Bruce, I've used Gator Glue for PE and Resin on some projects, but I ran out last year. And I usually use CA more often anyways.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That made me laugh that - ''So I got alternative decals from the spares box...'' !!???! How big is your spares box - that you just happen to have spare decals for Russian Fuel tankers! Who has those? Where do you even GET those from??!! :grin:

You are a building machine Mark, it always amazes me how you can have so many projects on the go and they ALL turn out looking superb :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

Cheers

Stuart
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Are you sure that's Fuel in Russian? It could be very well translate to... oh I don't know... Honey Wagon? :giggles: :giggles:

You got a lot accomplished. I'm curious on the carrier kit though. What ship is it and what scale?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Are you sure that's Fuel in Russian? It could be very well translate to... oh I don't know... Honey Wagon? :giggles: :giggles:
:hmm: How many of us here can read Russian in the Cyrillic alphabet? Those Russian decal makers could be playing some serious jokes on us western modelers.... :headslap:

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

LOL! Wow, thanks for all the great replies guys! I posted this update on three other Forums like I always do with all my updates and I never get the number and quality of responses that I've gotten here. This place is so incredibly awesome to post in!

Carlos: I agree that USAAF set is a fantastic set of models and they are all fun and easy to build. I do love all the incredible detail on those. Stay tuned, I should be getting paint on these in the near future. I've also thought about getting a second set to modify some of these trucks to different versions as I've seen other do

Mostrich: Thanks my friend, I am honored by your words. Several of these might even get done fairly soon.

Bruce: Thank you very much, you also honor me. Your package sounded like a great acquisition. I love how it all looked. Yes, the Gator Grip glue is the same as Carlos uses. It can be gotten online at gatorsmasks.com for about a couple bucks per bottle, or you can pick some up at Brookhurst Hobbies for $5.00 per. It comes in two forms: regular and extra thin. It hold exceptionally well and has excellent sheer strength making it perfect for holding P/E. I also used it to cement the plastic upper hull of my T-14 Armata to the metal lower hull. That is one strong bond. Thanks again for the compliments. I can't wait to see you at Hobby Day so we can build together.

Stuart: LOL! Well, after having built 700 small scale tanks and other vehicles; including five other Russian fuel trucks, I have a massive amount of spare decals. Most of them were alternative markings for several types of fuel trucks from companies like Omega-K, Cooperativa, and a few other Eastern European companies. Thank you very much for the compliments on my work and speed. I guess I'm just too impatient to work on just one or two at a time. With so many in the stash, I just want to get them all built.

Blacksheep: Thanks for the great comment. Yes, a couple members on the Missing Lynx Braille Scale Forums are Russians from Russia and they have confirmed that the "oreonachos" is indeed fuel. I'm glad too because this truck was no honey to build!

Thanks again for the compliments. The carrier is a Russian Kiev-class (modified) antisubmarine warfare carrier which was an improved version over the sister ships (or should I say 'brother ships since Russian ships are referred to in the masculine?) Kiev and Minsk. The Baku (which this carrier is named) received improved radar systems and ECM as well as increased anti-ship armament over his brothers. Once I get it done, I'll try to get a photo of the three ships side-by-side since I have Kiev and Minsk already finished some years ago.

Thanks again everyone for the fantastic replies! Stay tuned, more to come soon.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Duke Maddog wrote:
Yes, a couple members on the Missing Lynx Braille Scale Forums are Russians from Russia and they have confirmed that the "oreonachos" is indeed fuel.
Oreo Nachos???!!! :hmm:

:giggles: :giggles: :giggles:

That's kinda how I learned to memorize certain phrases in Serbo Croation. Find an English word or phrase that sounds the same and associate it with the phrase... kinda kooky method but it worked for me. Now if those guys could only switch to the Latin alphabet instead of those backwords Rs and H in place of N... and that funky thing in place of I...

FLSM

Return to “Member's Gallery”