JKim's Completed Builds (Restored..Again!)

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: JKim's Completed Builds

Post by BlackSheep214 »

jkim wrote:
Stikpusher wrote:You don't happen to be in the drafting side of engineering? I know it's all CAD now, as opposed to pencil and paper...
I started my engineering career when the industry was transitioning from hand drafting to CAD. I did a little drafting using technical pens on vellum but was soon tasked to learn a new software package called AutoCAD. I remember having to learn the program on a Packard Bell 286 without a mouse! :hmm:

I'm in the process of transferring my past builds from Photobucket to Postimages.org. I may be able to resurrect this thread when I complete this transfer. In the meantime, here is an older build of mine. This is the Hobby Boss 1/48 Fw 190D-9 kit that I built in 2014 as Blue 12 (WNr 500570).

:yikes: How did I miss this one?!?! That is one gorgeous Fw 190!!! Well done!!! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jkim
Elite Member

Re: JKim's Completed Builds

Post by jkim »

BlackSheep214 wrote: :yikes: How did I miss this one?!?! That is one gorgeous Fw 190!!! Well done!!! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Thanks! Since my reintroduction into the hobby, this was my first Dora. I did a little bit of internet research to come up with the color scheme for Blue 12. After spraying the basic camo colors, I distinctly remember thinking... "Wow, this is a really strange looking bird!"

Last edited by jkim on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: JKim's Completed Builds (Restored)

Post by Thomas_M »

A note to myself: must take airbrushing lessons! Or force JKim to build and paint my kits!
Really, I cannot stop being awestruck by your artistic level! :shoutout:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yeah, guys like John in the room make you step up your game... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Simple paper masks can help achieve that fine demarcation line.

Last edited by jkim on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Superb Builds Jim :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Here's a Nachtjager that I build in 2015. This is the Hobby Boss 262 B-1 kit that came out before the night fighter (B-1/U1a) version was released. The B-1 kit seemed to have most of the night fighter parts included minus the decals so I decided to go for it.

Last edited by jkim on Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Beautiful work John! That is quite the Masterpiece!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

That Swallow is a showstopper. I was pretty pleased with the Mäandertarnung I achieved on my 262, but painting all those tiny circles must've been a real challenge. Which needle size did you use for that kind of work, John?
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks for the comments! Torben... I was trying to replicate the archive photos of Red 12 and based my painting on an analysis by Pat Donahue that was posted at the IPMS Vagabonds website...
http://ipmsvagabonds.com/page3/page52/page52.html

My normal airbrush is a Iwata HP CS Plus with a 0.3mm needle but I switched over a Paasche V with a smaller needle and tip (0.254mm) for the mottling. Once the paint mixture and air pressure was dialed in, it wasn't too difficult to execute the mottling pattern. I like to use Post-Its in the masked areas to test spray the patterns prior to shooting the model.

The wavy finish on your 262A-1a/U3 turned out very well. I also liked the black basing you did but it pretty much disappeared under the wavy camo! And the little shroom on the base! :shoutout:
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Member's Gallery”