Maddog Manufacturing 2017 Production Line

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Stikpusher

Re: Maddog Manufacturing 2017 Production Line

Post by Stikpusher »

Bruce, that Monogram 32nd scale F/P-51 is a fun old kit. I would love to get my hands on one again and build it up right. Last one of those that I built was a white box kit from the late 70's or 1980 at latest... if you can get one I certainly want to watch your project!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:Bruce, that Monogram 32nd scale F/P-51 is a fun old kit. I would love to get my hands on one again and build it up right. Last one of those that I built was a white box kit from the late 70's or 1980 at latest... if you can get one I certainly want to watch your project!
Great! Thank you for the "thumbs up," Carlos!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

speedgraflex wrote:Carlos and Mark,

Thanks so much for your response! I was on the lookout for good starter kits yesterday. Is there such a thing as a starter aircraft carrier? A friend asked me that a week ago and I had no idea at all. You both probably know the answer.

Mark,

Thanks for posting the great photos of your superlative Airfix build; a real beauty! I appreciate the techniques you use to create such realism! Although I wanted to know concerning the photograph is the background more blue than violet? I saw more blue... could be the drugs, though, hah! All the best.

Soon I am going to open a thread somewhere in general modeling I suppose on the vintage 1/32 Monogram P-51... is it “F.” I don’t want the clear shell, but having a “Model Action” Mustang might be a great 2018 project, I don’t know yet. I have Mustangs on my mind these days (thanks, Airfix), and am wondering if I should choose a vintage path or go for accuracy, modern tooling and a lot of aftermarket madness!

You're welcome Bruce.

I think the closest thing to a 'starter' aircraft carrier build is either the old Monogram Forrestall class and Essex class carriers; or the old Lindbergh Essex class carriers. Both are a bit soft on detail, and some of the antennae are a bit out of scale, but they are simple to build and have relatively low parts counts. Also, unlike some of the newest carriers, the air wing doesn't need to be assembled. You just paint the planes on the sprues, cut them off and mount them on the deck.

I appreciate the compliment on the Mustang. The background is a blue color; almost royal blue in tint. So you saw it correctly; it wasn't the drugs my friend! That is a heavy paper tablecloth someone sent me to use as a background to bring out the hues and colors of my models better. It also helps them to look more realistic as if seen in person.

If that 1/32 scale Mustang is the one I'm thinking of with the drop-able bombs and retracting landing gear; then I had one as a kid. After I built and painted it, I used to 'fly' it all over; dropping the bombs on my sisters' dolls as they played with them! Right now in the stash I have the clear-shelled one with the full interior that I won as a prize in the last speed build contest at Jim Woody's annual BBQ way back in the day. Someday I'll have to pull that out to build....
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks, Duke. What’s your opinion of Revell’s 1/487 Aircraft Carrier (“The Battle of Midway Series”)? It looks good—and there is cool aftermarket if he wants to upgrade.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

The "Battle of Midway Carriers" are right up there with the old Revell/Monogram Essex-class bird farms too. Very similar molding process; low parts count, fairly good detail for so few parts and the air wing is solid; no assembly required. I did built at least two of those: Hornet and Yorktown. I had never seen that particular boxing though. Very nice. I highly recommend them as starter kits for carriers.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

So many boxings of this kit! That one is from 1976.
The 2003 boxing lists the scale incorrectly!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

Duke Maddog wrote:
speedgraflex wrote:Duke!img]http://www.modelersalliance.com/gallery ... bus_II.jpg[/img]

5) Are you planning to create a NMF and if so how will you make your NMF finish?

I am a natural metal finish for this and plan on priming it first with a grey primer. Then I'll use one of my Tamiya spray bombs of Bare Metal Silver to coat this after smoothing the primer with an 8000-grit buffing pad. You'll be able to see the results here on this Thread.

I do hope this helps in answering your questions Bruce. If you have any more, feel free to ask away. I'll try to help as best I can.

Stay tuned people, more to come.
I've done a couple of NMF mustangs and found that Krylon Cover Max Silver Metallic is an excellent match for Tamiya Bare Metal Silver at a much lower price. It comes in 11oz cans and I think I paid less than $5 at Wal Mart.
  When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Bruce. Mine was labeled with the correct scale. I just don't remember the boxing.

wjk, thanks for the heads up on that. I'll pick some up when I next go to Wal-Mart. It'll help having extra when I run out of Tamiya.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Ditto wjk re Krykon “Cover Max.” Good to know the options!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

These 3 were painted with Krylon

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.

Return to “Member's Gallery”