Maddog Manufacturing 2017 Production Line

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: Maddog Manufacturing 2017 Production Line

Post by Duke Maddog »

Good one Carlos! I love it!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Duke Maddog wrote:Good one Carlos! I love it!

:mrgreen:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well, the last week or so, I've been getting a few small things done here and there. I feel like I'm swimming up through a strong current; I may have done a lot, but I don't really feel I got anywhere! I did find some time to airbrush, but otherwise, it's been small things here and there. You be the judge....

I'll start again with the aircraft.

I shot the yellow and Olive Drab on the P-51 after masking it all up. Here's the result:

Later I also dullcoated the P-40 after the decals dried:

I should be able to finish that one soon.....

Next up I shot the camouflage grey on the bottom of the F-102:

Later on I masked that back off to finish painting the camouflage pattern on the top. I had forgotten a whole couple sections of OD. Here it is with the Silly Putty and the new paint:

This is the result after I removed the Silly Putty. There were a few places that needed some touchup here:

Later on I touched up those areas....

.... so I could gloss this for decals. Here she is ready for decals:

While that was drying, I masked off the helicopter windscreen for paint:

Moving right along....

Recognize this?

That is the Swedish Lannsen all masked so I could paint the underside:

That was the before shot... this is the after shot:

Now all I need to do is remove that mask and then I can gloss this and decal it.

Moving on, I found my HMS Daring, a Type 42 Destroyer that I had started some time ago. I got the hull color on the hull and superstructure:

Now to find the deck color and get it painted on the decks....

Now for my armor....

I started out with some base coats on a few of them. The Japanese Type 89 Early got a new coat of grey that was darker. This is going to be the final color. I may modulate it a bit, but I'm moving forward on this:

I then shot the tan basecoat on the T-90:

Later, when I had the Silly Putty out for the -102; I also added it to my Japanese Type 89 Late and my T-90. Here is the Type 89:

The T-90 got some as well:

Later I shot some Russian Green on the T-90:

Getting paint into all those nooks and crannies was a challenge indeed!

Later as I was looking around, I found a Trumpeter M-113 ACAV that I;d bought for a couple bucks. When I opened the box I remembered why: it had been started and comepleted except for tracks and guns! So, I figured since I have the airbrush fired up, I'd shoot this thing so I could finish it:

Here it is sporting a coat of OD:

Here's where you can see my fix of the builder's mistake. Another reason t was a couple bucks....

After that, I tried once again to tackle the tracks on the Schturmtiger. Here you can see that the CA glue was only partially successful, albeit very weak:

I couldn't get it to glue on the curved areas. The indie track parts were also barely attached:

I took a break from that for awhile and added some decals to this. I know they were mostly unmarked, but I just couldn't see not having some German crosses on this. I think they make it look more cool:

As mentioned before, I saw this stuff at Pegasus Hobbies and decided to buy it to try on the tracks for this beastie:

They told me at Pegasus that it is designed to hold the tires to the wheels on remote control cars. I thought if it worked for that kind of vinyl, it should work for the vinyl tracks on this kit since it appeared to be the same type of rubber/vinyl.

Here was my first test:

Bottom run re-glued:

Later I taped up the curved parts of the run; added the rest of the indie links and finally glued on the top run:

The next day after it dried overnight, I checked it. These tracks were solid:

Success! Now to do the other side....

Finally I decided to have some fun. I started the Berlin House; the first step was to build the interior stairwell:

Later I assembled the whole bottom floor: dry fit and taped down the second floor so the walls glued straight; and I added the second story stairwell that I had also built:

I'll keep the second story unattached so I can open this up and paint inside. For run I might even try to add some interior detail here and there some time in the future.

Okay that completes this session of what's on my workbench. Personally I can't wait to get some of these done. With Hobby Day coming up, I plan to decal a whole lotta models so I can run them over the finish line!

That's all for now. Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

First, if swimming upstream or fighting current is your weekly progress metaphor, you are one strong swimmer! There is so much to admire and comment upon positively that I am out of breath. The way you build is so incredibly inspirational to watch! For me, I think in food metaphors, so—this last post is the equivalent of three steak dinners with all the trimmings... and I was hungry but now I’m not. If Carlos was around I’d be bumming a cigar from his stash of Cubans. This was a great week.

I have a question based on the single image of the Mustang with color layers on... how do you fix any overspray with a metallic finish? It’s so clean with your work but there are times when I have a “hitchhiker of paint” from masking that requires removal. Do you use micro mesh or sanding and how do you rebuild or touch up the adjacent surface?

Other than that, wow, wow, wow, wow, wow and one more wow for good measure!! Cheers!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice to see that the glue you bought worked on the tracks Mark. I’m gonna have to see if the RC shop by me carries that stuff. It might come in quite useful on some of my armor with the older vinyl tracks.
And well done on everything else.

Bruce, I wish I had some Cuban stogies... the ones that I currently have are all of non communist origin... including those smooth ones from the Canary Islands...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

Mark;

Another comment on the 102. The radomes, even on SEA camo bird, was still coated in black. Paint affected the radar emission and reception.as most paint in the 50's contained lead. The coating was a black rubberized material. The best color is flat tire black. If the radome is black and is masked please ignore my post

When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Bruce, I always love reading your replies! I feel like I have a lot to live up to. It has been a challenging week on all these to say the least. If you want to see more of me working in person, feel free to come on down to Hobby Day this Friday and Saturday. I'll be applying decals for most of the time so I can move forward on some of these. I am honored by your reference to three steak dinners. Maybe someday I can grill you up on for real; be at Hobby Day Friday in March and I will! As for a Cuban stogie; maybe I can snag one from my brother-in-law. He went to Cuba some years back and brought back four boxes of them!

Carlos, I was thrilled with the way that glue worked and I highly recommend it. Thanks for the compliments on everything as well.

WJ, thanks! Yeah, I knew the nose was black; I was just trying to finish up the camouflage before I masked and sprayed the flat back on the nose. That should happen soon.

Thanks again for all the awesome comments guys! I do appreciate them all; they keep me motivated to continue on.

Stay tuned, more to come.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

A small update here. I'll start again with my aircraft.

I shot the bottom of the Dagger again since the camo grey got messed up. Now I can decal this bird:

I also did the decals on the USAF Jetstream. These were so old they kept curling, even with the application of decal solvent. I started with the demarcation lines. Here they looked okay before they started curling:

Then I did the wing walk lines. They did not go on straight, despite my best efforts. They kept sliding on the smooth wing surface when I tried to press them down. I didn't catch that mistake until too late:

I tried to loosen that one up to adjust it but it was too firmly attached. Oh well, it is an ancient 50+year-old kit....

Here's a couple shots of the decals after I got them all applied:

You can see the curling more effectively here. I'm gonna see what I can do about that later. If I can't do anything about it, oh well; it's an ancient 50+year-old kit.......

Another ancient kit that gave me some trouble with curling decals too was the Heller Saab J-32 Lannsen. These decals behaved a little better though once I brought down the boom:

Later I dullcoated this and then removed the masking. This just needs undercarriage and gear bay doors and she'll be done:

That's all for my aircraft, now for my latest on my armor.....

Since I was decaling, I decided to finally get the decals on my USAAF re-supply vehicles. All of the vehicles have most of the decals on them. Some simply disappeared from the bumpers after I applied them and hit them with solvent:

I also added the decals for the tiny Japanese Type 89 tank....

.....and later dullcoated it:

After the dullcoat dried, I dry-brushed this with a lighter grey:

This one is getting close. Just a little further to go.

Now it was time for some painting. I shot the black lines on the T-90, but forgot to take pics before I masked the black lines with more Silly Putty:

After that I shot more green to take care of the overspray. Now this is completely camouflaged:

I also started to modulate the color on the ACAV:

Until I got to the other side and saw that square of roughness. I decided that it was time to fix that. I sanded it down even more and then applied some Mr. Surfacer 500 to the spot:

Once that dries sufficiently, I'll sand it smooth and then re-paint that side.

Finally, I started the Hobby Boss Merkava IIID (LIC). The turret was the first thing to do. I assembled almost all of it here, leaving off a lot of the breakable detail bits:

Next was the upper hull. I added all of three pieces to this:

Here it is sitting all together on the lower hull to show how it looks:

Later on when I was painting, the next thing to happen was the basecoat of Green Drab on this Merkava:

Later when that was dry, I modulated the color with an over spray of Israeli Armor Sand Grey:

And that completes my small update so far. Thanks for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

A small update... lol! Most of those look near completion...

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stikpusher wrote:A small update... lol! Most of those look near completion...

Yeah... small. LOL!

Most of them are near completion... now I have to send them over the line. I hope to this week.

Stay tuned, more to come.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Member's Gallery”