The Duke Finishes One in November

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

The Duke Finishes One in November

Post by Duke Maddog »

Hello everyone. Awhile ago; I thought I'd finished my Nagmachon, but when I took the pics I noticed a few things. So, at first I was going to post this pic:

But then I noticed the crooked box on the side of the fender. Not good. Then when I wanted to post this pic:

...I noticed the black smudge on the back of the armor. So, I came up with an idea....

And now I can finally post the officially finished model.

Here it is with the box fixed in front:

And now for my solution to the black smudge. I decided to make it look like someone took a shot at it:

And the final view:

I tried to get a closer pic of the 'damage' but couldn't get the camera to focus on it. This was the best I could do:

That was the first time I'd ever done battle damage like that before. I'm pretty happy with it. Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Floki
Elite Member

Re: The Duke Finishes One in November

Post by Floki »

Good save with that battle damage, I've had a few unplanned rust spots from finger prints lol
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Duke, that looks great!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

With armor builds there is always mud... :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That looks cracking Mark!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Stikpusher wrote:With armor builds there is always mud... :giggles:
…………..and damage!!

Great work on this one Mark!!! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks everyone for the awesome replies!

Floki, I appreciate that. It's the first time I felt the need to 'hide' something like that under damage.

Lyle, thanks! I'm glad it turned out so well.

Thanks Carlos, but mud is another thing that I have a very hard time making look convincing.

Thanks Stuart! I'm thrilled with having this finished now!

Joe, thanks! I also felt the damage was going to be a bit easier than the mud; especially that high up on the armor plate.

I appreciate all the motivating and exhilarating comments guys!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

That looks awesome and screams patience!
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Mark, making good mud is all about developing your own technique and time to fine tune that... and what little boy, which is what all of us modelers are deep inside, does not enjoy playing in the mud...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks John! I did take an entire day to add all that P/E onto that model. It was a bit of a challenge, but I'm thrilled with how it turned out.

Thanks Carlos. I did enjoy digging in the dirt as a kid, but trying to make it look real on my models is a bit of a challenge. Maybe I can find some old "retired" models and use them as practice dummies. I will say that I don't always like burying too much of the model under mud. I want it to be seen. Still, it is a useful skill to develop. :hmm:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Member's Gallery”