Maddog Manufacturing 2020 Production

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Maddog Manufacturing 2020 Production

Post by Medicman71 »

It always blows my mind on how many builds you have going at the same time. I thought I was bad with my 5-6. Nice work as always though! :shoutout: :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Mike! I attribute that number to the "squirrel" effect; I see what others are doing elsewhere and I just get the urge to get started on them. Then reality sets in and I have to keep going on them, so I try to decide which ones have the most priority. Hopefully soon, we'll see some more progress on these.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Cracking good work all around Lyle and I'm mega impressed that you have some many large kits on the go at once!

Looking forward to seeing the progress on that 224!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Stuart! While Lyle is also working on some big birds, these are mine. I do appreciate the compliments too. I hope to get more done on these birds and the rest of the armor soon too. Also, it's the AN-124; the 224 hasn't been released yet. I'm just hoping I'll be able to get it and build it when it does!

Stay tuned my friend!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Whoops - yes of course. Sorry, I've been watching a 1\144 224 build on another forum, I'm easily confused :headslap:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

No worries Stuart! I do hope to build the 224 in 1/72 scale someday. We'll see. I still need to get this one done!

Stay tuned, more to come.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

After another week worth of work, here's another update. It's kinda small compared to many I've done, but I do feel that I got a lot done. It feels great to see progress.

First off, here is a preview of the main landing gear for the AN-124 Condor. I did one complete one without wheels, and started a second on. The finished one contains 10 parts, not including the wheels. I have to make ten of these:

I also completed a third engine, but I think I mentioned that before. Okay, enough of that....

Next up, I'll show the progress on my three aircraft that are so close to the finish line right now.

To start; I got the decals on the German Huey. These were tough as they had to conform to many curves and recesses. I think I managed to get them looking good enough:

Yes, the tail ones silvered. I fixed that later after taking these pics.

Yes, for some reason my gloss spray fogged the side windows. Fortunately, I still have the set from the kit I've been cannibalizing to complete this one. The nose decal gave me the most difficulty; but then again, I might have put it on over some masking tape:

Later on I masked the pilot's door window hoping it would not be fogged, but I couldn't save it. Despite that, the dullcoat went on well. I was even surprised that the decals sucked down so well over the detail underneath:

Next, I added the last decals onto the Israeli Sufa:

...and then shot the dullcoat over it:

I then removed the masking from the tail feathers and the canopy. Now all I need to do is add the final details, the landing gear, the underwing stores, and then detail paint the last parts to finish this off.

Finally, I added the decals to the German Gotha Go-244:

They curled, despite using both Micro-sol and Solvaset. This one eye was so bad I had to paint it on. Not very well; but then I was contending with an engine nacelle in the way:

You can also see I painted the wheels on this.

Later I shot the dark gray over the masked canopy:

Now all I have to do is add that canopy and one other small window to this and it's finished. I'll even have the little Kubel that goes with this completed as well:

Speaking of vehicles, here is the latest on my armor I've been doing this week along with my aircraft.

I'll start with the 1/35th scale M-48 Patton. I don't remember what I'd posted before so here's the most recent work I did.

I think I left off with this pic of the Patton where the main hull and turrets were built up:

Next I added the fenders and the turret bustle rack:

Next I built the TC's cupola shown here dry-fit to the turret:

Finally, I added the mantlet cover and the main gun to this. The mantlet is made from the DS Styrene so it is flexible, allowing the gun to move:

I'm calling this puppy ready for paint.

Now on to my smaller stuff....

On the Modeler's Haven Forums they are running a 1/72 scale Group Build. I decided to go with the M-109 A-nothing for my 1/72 scale Group Build subject. You can follow that in it's own thread as well. Here though, is the shot of the main hull all assembled:

I then assembled the turret sans gun and mantlet:

Here they are all together so far:

I will later on be doing some carving and modifying the mantlet, frame and gun so that it will elevate. That is one of the more frustrating things about this Revell kit: they make you fix the gun in place. Hopefully I'll do a better job than I did on the German Paladin; live and learn.

Moving on, I started assembling the other M-1 Abrams SEP with the mine plow. Here's the upper and lower hull dry-fit together:

Next came the turret:

And to show that I'm not recycling pics of the first SEP Abrams, here they are side by side:

I then started on the mine plow for this Abrams. Here are the main blades:

There are 18 parts in that pic above, nine per side. Flyhawk really did these right!

Moving on, here's more of the mine plow:

Those skids are fully poseable too!

Here is the full mine plow almost done:

That thing is a model unto itself, and fully articulate as well! All I need to do is add the chain to it.

Next I had to make these ready for paint. That meant adding all the P/E screens and other parts to these. First the regular SEP Abrams:

Then the mine plow Abrams next to it:

BTW, the 'white' squares on the engine decks of these tanks are the P/E screens reflecting my bench worklight.

I then finished the P/E on the SEP TUSK I Abrams too:

Then came the basecoats of dark green on all three of these. The M-1A2 Abrams SEP:

... The M-1 A2 Abrams SEP with mine plow:

And the M-1A2 Abrams SEP TUSK I:

And that is where I left off so far this week. More to come soon I hope. Stay tuned and thanks for looking in on this latest tour. Comments are always welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice Duke!! I really like the M1's. I need to get one. :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Three M1A2s at the same time Mark? One more and you would have a full platoon! They all look good so far, that’s for sure! I’m really liking the M48 too! What markings are you planning to use on that one?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Hi Mark,

Happy Friday! I caught up on these projects of yours a few moments ago. In addition to these wonderful models, your attitude towards each project regardless of “up or down” is phenomenal. To be able to maintain such a great attitude towards each kit regardless of mishaps or engineering and fit issues is such a wonderful trait to have. I feel certain this is what carries you through to complete everything you do. Based on your photos, in order of questions I have for you, on the Condor, was it a learning curve fitting the first engine together or was it the design? On the Israeli fighter jet, what was your prep between paint, gloss to matte finishes? For the 1/35 armor, are you doing any things differently from the way you assemble kits in 1/72?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Member's Gallery”