Portman Productions 2020

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Re: Portman Productions 2020

Post by tempestjohnny »

Look how weighted the tires are
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

They're feeling deflated...
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Today's lunchtime modelling session saw yet another new kit hit the front seat, Zvezda's Mig-21BIS. The boxes for the 1/48 kits are a tad too bulky for my car, so it's back to some 1/72 Jets.

It's not a bad looking kit, plenty of parts in the box.

So far I've assembled the cockpit tub, mounted the sidewalls and main u/c bays into the fuselage halves, and them slapped lovely green paint over everything.

After that I have a rather tasty vegan curried pie and some hash browns :lashed:

This kit will soon be joined by another -21, although the level of detail might be a bit lower...

Cheers Comrades

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Nice work from the front seat! Lunch sounds good, too!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Lyle - it was rather tasty.

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I'm going to have to source some colours for the scheme as I want to do a camouflaged but know nowt about Russian Air force Colours - I'll be going with the 'close enough' principle.

The painting guide in this kit is the rather old fashioned black and white kind which is no help. I did find this on line that looks rather funky.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

For Soviet camo colors, close enough will work. Standard patterns are pretty much non existent. Late models and some earlier export models were camo painted at the factories in semi standardized colors and patterns. But early types like your kit were built in NMF, and if they received a camo scheme, it was done locally, with colors available and the pattern at the whim of the paint crew.
There used to be a great site that had various Soviet aircraft types camo profiles and color call outs using Humbrol paints, but it shut down several years ago. Fortunately some folks have saved some of those profiles online on other sites. Here is a Mig-23 pattern with those Humbrol color call outs. So using those colors, and the explanation of Soviet camo practices, you can do as you like on your Mig-21 Stuart.

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the info Carlos - that's a great help! good to know nothing was standard!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

portman wrote:Thanks for the info Carlos - that's a great help! good to know nothing was standard!
Unfortunately the quality of Cold War Soviet Color photos is widely varied. I suspect that like US FS colors or U.K. BSC colors, the Soviet Air Force had a wide palette of paint colors to choose from. Soviet Aircraft based in Eastern Europe wore darker, more temperate color schemes, while those based in their Southern and central republics wore lighter color schemes suited for those more arid environments.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stuart, looking great so far, Nice choice on the latest models. That Airfix one will bring back memories for me as I built a few! As Carlos said, "close enough" is just right; that's the way I always painted my Soviet aircraft.

Looking forward to seeing more.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Member's Gallery”