My recent builds

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: My recent builds

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Hmmm.... I need to get the new Tamiya P-38 Lightning kit. Maybe for Christmas 2020....
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

You can download the assembly manual from the Tamiya USA site. You won't regret getting the air craft.
  When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

wjkunert wrote:
speedgraflex wrote:Congratulations, sir! Any notes you would like to share with us about building these? I’m curious about the P-38 and you’re the second person I know who has built it!
The P 38 is typical Tamiya - everything fits. I especially liked the way they attached the gear doors - nice thick tabs that fit into slots. Nice and secure. Paints are Vallejo brushed. Came out pretty good.
That's a cracking bit of Hairy stick work, especially on such a large model - are all three brush painted?
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

wjkunert wrote:
BlackSheep214 wrote:Hmmm.... I need to get the new Tamiya P-38 Lightning kit. Maybe for Christmas 2020....
You can download the assembly manual from the Tamiya USA site. You won't regret getting the air craft.
I know you can DL Tamiya model kits. I’ve looked at several. Revell has them too on their website. Not sure on Airfix kits though. Sometimes you’ll find it on scalemates.com.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

The P 38 is typical Tamiya - everything fits. I especially liked the way they attached the gear doors - nice thick tabs that fit into slots. Nice and secure. Paints are Vallejo brushed. Came out pretty good.[/quote]

That's a cracking bit of Hairy stick work, especially on such a large model - are all three brush painted?[/quote]

Everything I do is brush painted. I don't own an airbrush. Thanks for the compliment.
  When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice: but when the wicked beareth rule, the people mourn.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

wjkunert wrote:The P 38 is typical Tamiya - everything fits. I especially liked the way they attached the gear doors - nice thick tabs that fit into slots. Nice and secure. Paints are Vallejo brushed. Came out pretty good.
That's a cracking bit of Hairy stick work, especially on such a large model - are all three brush painted?[/quote]

Everything I do is brush painted. I don't own an airbrush. Thanks for the compliment.[/quote]

Wait.... that and all your builds were all hand brushed?!?! Holy crap! :wow: I would have never guessed!

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Brilliant work man! Especially given the brush work! You are quite the Master at that! Way to go!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
wjkunert
Advanced Member

Post by wjkunert »

Thank you very much for the compliment. Considering I just celebrated my 81st birthday and my hands aren't as steady as they once were I guess they turned out pretty good. The paints from Mission Models and Vallejo Model Color will brush streak free so that helps quite a bit. What amazes me is the number of 1/72 models you turn out and the quality of their finish. 1/72 generally is too small for me because of the tiny parts and my shaky hands.
Brandons_Iron
Advanced Member

Post by Brandons_Iron »

Very nice looking collection there. I really need to add that P-38 to the stash and the Ki-45 also. Not enough hours in the day for the whole stash to ever get built. But, it's fun finding and buying also.

BK
BrandonK

If you can't fix it with duct tape, you're not using enough duct tape.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

wjkunert wrote:
Duke Maddog wrote:Brilliant work man! Especially given the brush work! You are quite the Master at that! Way to go!
Thank you very much for the compliment. Considering I just celebrated my 81st birthday and my hands aren't as steady as they once were I guess they turned out pretty good. The paints from Mission Models and Vallejo Model Color will brush streak free so that helps quite a bit. What amazes me is the number of 1/72 models you turn out and the quality of their finish. 1/72 generally is too small for me because of the tiny parts and my shaky hands.

Thank you. I'm trying to improve, but I'm walking a fine line between taking a little extra time to attempt a better finish and just getting them done quick. I hate having models sitting for too long half built on my bench. Lately I have far too many of them. I do understand about the small parts mixed with shaky hands. That would make my scale tough.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Member's Gallery”