1/32 Junkers Ju 88 - Revell

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
speedgraflex

Re: 1/32 Junkers Ju 88 - Revell

Post by speedgraflex »

Thomas! Honestly, this build is as I recall, done hand-in-hand besides an actual conservation of the aircraft, which makes this a special case—to be able to directly interface with the conservator regarding all matters of construction and equipment makes this its own unique project!

Case in point: the Z-M Horten reflects many of the same close attention to details as this project does. Perhaps this is the synergy between a kit and maker of uncommon abilities.

I do understand what you mean about setting a personal standard, but again, I would suggest that the synergy with the kit and subject are the reason why we continue to build models. It is at this interface of technology and art that we find the energies to create!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

I fully agree, Bruce. Getting in contact with the head of restoration, having the then new kit at hand, and getting some no longer available aftermarket certainly fuelled this project.
Comparable to Zoukei-mura kits as the Horten: their fabulous kit, together with the Concept Note book comprising the most and best available information on the real thing, is an unbeatable combination.
Motivation and inspiration, fun doing research and the right mood: fun building kits!
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I simply cannot believe that I have NOT commented on this beautiful masterpiece. My hat goes off to you for such a well detailed, painted and weathered build Thomas. I do have one question for you though. Where in the world does a guy display something like this?
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Hahaha! That´s no problem; the Ju 88 isn´t this large an aircraft. Even in 1/32 scale. Fits perfectly in one of our cabinets.
AtomCat109
Advanced Member

Post by AtomCat109 »

How did you get the canopy frame perfect like that? Stunning work on this bird!
Messerschmitt 109 Addict
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Thank you, Atom! :tongue:

Canopy has been masked using Eduard precut masks, and masks from Montex, a Polish company. Revell forgot to do one brace on each side of the cockpit canopy. I had some black self-adhesive vinyl foil at hand, airbrushed it in camouflage colour, cut a strip the width needed, and simply glued onto the clear part.
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

Sorry I never saw this one,fantastic work.I actually saw one in person at the museum in Dayton a couple of years ago in Rumanian colors
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Thanks a lot, Tojo! :tongue:
I know of the Dayton Ju 88, but I am not sure if it was a Romanian bird when captured. Need to check my Aero Detail book on more info.
Here in Germany we have a, well, kind of a Ju 88. A wreck, blemished by a false and bad done front, among other booboos. Here is a video of it:

My build was based and supported by the fine restoration up north in Gardermoen. Here is some more info: http://ju88.net/
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

According to the museum the Ju 88 they have in Dayton is in the same markings as it was in when captured.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall

Return to “Member's Gallery”