The Hive (restoration in progress)

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Re: The Hive

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Some more pics from the Hive. This time some 1/48 planes.

MPM 1/48 Avia B.35, this is the first prototype. This an old MPM vacform with short run plastic. I scratchbuild the whole interior fram, added exhaust pipes etc. It was my first vacform. Painting is done freehand with and Badger 200 and Tamiya acrylics, post shading with pastel.

Airfix 1/48 Spitfire mk Vb, hi-tech boxing with white metal and PE. Painting done with Humbrol enamel, preshaded.

*edit 2017: I scratch build that door with plastic card but the crowbar should not have been red. If you see pics with a red crowbar: those are restored Spitfires. Wartime spits had an interior green crowbar.

Revell (monogram?) F-18A, my first ever airbrushed plane. Scratchbuild HUD and details on the seat, the rest is SOB.

Tamiya Kawanishi N1K1 Kyofu / Rex, pre shaded and painted with Tamiya paints. Only added details are the seat belts. Wonderfull kit, build like a charm.

Last edited by BorgR3mc0 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

well done pieces.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Some more 1/72 builds:

Italeri/testors B-2: a bear to build, warped wings, mediocre fit etc. Decals are also not that good.

KP Suchoi Su-25 Frogfoot: old but basically good kit. Suprisingly larger then Revell's 1/72 Su-25 and I m guessing that the Czech had one on hand for measurements. Added several scratch deatils such as airintakes.

Heller PZL P.23 Karas, nice kit, typical old Heller, raised panel lines, bit basic. Scratch interior, brush painted.

ZTS PZL P.37 Los, the first kit I ever painted. Note the wheels are up because "airplanes have fly" (AKA mock scale dogfights).

Last edited by BorgR3mc0 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

More pics from the Hive:

Special Hobby 1/72 Bell XP-77: short run kit but an easy build with minimal parts. I did some slight modifications on the "gills"/outlets so that they would be flush with the fuselage. I airbrushed gamesworkshop Mytrhil Silver on this one, so yes, you can AB gamesworkshop paints....but only if you really want to.

Revell Arado E-500: Good kit, typical of late 90's revell, good fit, nice details. I made my E-500 a bit more personal by dropping the turret and forward arnament and adding a search radar for the rear turret. It all fits in a backstory that I made up....
I did some preshading with a sharpie, a no no for use with acrylics paints. Fortunatly I have had no severe bleeding but the effects is not as good as it could have been. So stay away from sharpies for pre shading!

Heller 1/100 Mystere: an ancient and basic kit, build this one on vacation when I got sick and had nothing else to do. A kit to avoid! Painting done by brush with Livecolor paints thinned with Klir (french Future) Detail painting was done with some kid paint that my niece had with her.

Matchbox Strikemaster: good fit, little detail, easy build for a beginners. Hand painted wit Humbrol, the first kit I ever gloss coated to reduce silvering. An old build, before I discovered the use of putty, so there is a big seam on the nose.

Last edited by BorgR3mc0 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I had forgotten the number and variety of subjects you have completed. Very nice.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

LyleW wrote:I had forgotten the number and variety of subjects you have completed. Very nice.
And I have not even post my "not aircraft" subjects.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Next up, my small collection of the Komet family, I have some more variants (163C, S, B-1, 263) in the stash so this family can become more complete over the years.

The PM DFS-192, very basic kit. I screwed up the masking, Used liquid mask without tape borders. I have got another one in the stash to do better.

*edit 2017: I am fortunate to have that second PM kit in the stash. The founder of PM ideas and his inheritances sold all PM molds as scrap metal!

The Condor Me-163: this kit is based on an old inaccurate vacform, I tried to make it better but not enough. The newer MPM release is this kit wiht a very nice early Schlepper. Got that one in the stash for a second chance model.

MPM Mitsubishi J8m1 Susei, this is the upgraded kit with a nice resin cockpit. Easy build, like most komet variants.

Jach Heinkel He-176 rocket research plane, SOB build, did do some reshaping of the nose cone which is to pointy.

Academy Me-163, backdated it to a B-0, shortned ailerons, panel lines cannons and intakes.Decals are from a Kagero book. This Academy kit is great, very good fit, nice details, highly recommended. I have got some more of those in the stash for a S and B-1.

Amodel MiG I-207, the ultimate Komet. Suprisingly easy build but with very little detail in the cockpit.

Last edited by BorgR3mc0 on Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
sergio
Advanced Member

Post by sergio »

great, all history of Komet in scale.
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

sergio wrote:great, all history of Komet in scale.
Thanks, I really like the Komet and will build more of that family. I forgot the write that both the 163A and I-207 have scratch build canopies because of problems with the orignal ones.
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

A real fine bunch of birds in the coop.

Return to “Member's Gallery”