The importance of cleanliness: Declan's Bench

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: The importance of cleanliness: Declan's Bench

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Ceaser_Sa1ad wrote:You all have no idea how many times I whack myself on that thing. I REALLY wish I could get rid of it, but I don't know if it is actually weight bearing.
Most likely it is. It’s the only thing that’s holding up the floor ceiling. No way should you even try removing it otherwise you want the ceiling in the basement come crashing down.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Ceaser_Sa1ad wrote:You all have no idea how many times I whack myself on that thing. I REALLY wish I could get rid of it, but I don't know if it is actually weight bearing.
They probably didn't put it there because they thought it looked good, my guess it's loadbaring.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Its more then likely load bearing. Your home looks to be from the early 1900's That pole,was added later to beef up the floor joists above it which had probably started to sag over time
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

tempestjohnny wrote:Its more then likely load bearing. Your home looks to be from the early 1900's That pole,was added later to beef up the floor joists above it which had probably started to sag over time
You all are most correct about that. The house had a whole new half added to it, the portion where that pole is, is where the stairs to the basement used to be from my understanding.
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Re: Time to pause: Declan's Bench

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

I am putting a freeze on my bench for now.
As the year has progressed, I am finding that my frustration is increasing at my table rather than it being my relaxation place. I am seeing more of other peoples expectations in my work than my own. No ones fault of course, but I am finding that I am trying to impress people here and on other forums instead of building just for myself. I am a very passionate person, the downside to that is when things don't go as planned, I get very upset. :headbang:

Along side that, I have a job that I despise and I really need to find a new one soon while I still can. Being young has its perks and one of those being more flexible job options. This takes my mind off of modelling somewhat, and there is an odd pressure from my family to be getting a job that satisfies their interests more than mine. Another contributor to my frustration. What I really need is my old airsoft pistol back and a few empty cans... :ggun:
I will still be participating in the group builds I signed up for, however I think I need to take a break. I am burnt out :bored:

On a somewhat illogical note, my skillset is far outmatched here, and everywhere else I look (other forums). I love watching all you guys build and just that teaches me a thing or two. I should not be surprised that most everyone has more tested skills than I, having only been doing this for 6 years. Yet sometimes I feel embarrassed to present my work here, regardless of all the kind and positive things you all say. I am just not as competent. This is another of my character flaws *of which everyone has*. I always want to be as good as everybody else. Silly? Yes. But who isn't? :tease:

To put this whole rant plainly: I'll be back.
I apologize for the longevity of my explanation; I felt it was necessary to say something before I exploded...
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I agree with you about your relationship with building a model. I’ll stick with my side of the street or fence here but it’s always best to step aside or call a time out when needed. However, I want to add that feeling your work is not up to the level is not what we are about here, and I mean this in the most direct way possible. Your work is your work: it’s highly imaginative and creative and invigorating. There is one particular trap a model builder will fall into, which is to approach all subjects the same way in terms of construction and finishes. With your work you are celebrating the variety of subjects available and that is one sure fire way to shake up the routine. You’re already ahead of the game, truly.

Now since you mention jobs as well, you have my full support with doing what you must do for your future. Try things out, too. I’ve known plenty of people myself included who started in seasonal jobs just because that’s what was available. So good luck.

In closing, you wrote about finishing out your current slate of group builds. That’s an admirable decision and one I have over time failed at miserably, but I’m still here. My father used to tell me: “Follow your heart and do no harm.” Those words still resonate. I hope to see you sooner rather than later. In fact I would suggest you don’t even go. Or don’t go too far. Stay close. Watch the feeds. Comment as you see fit. I have a feeling the mood will strike upon you to create and create you will. Think of this as the healing pause after an intense workout.

Yes, you will be back.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Declan, never model for someone else's appreciation or approval. Easy to say, harder to do. Most of us are here because we like to share, and to help others. That's the best part of sharing, the helping. How we gonna help you if you ain't here?

Sure, we all like to have others say they like our work, but that has to be secondary to appreciating that we have a little more confidence today than yesterday, and the masking we did on the canopy today is better than what we did yesterday. Small victories are the best and not the feeling that you have failed if your current model isn't as good as it might be.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I'm no master builder myself considering I've been doing model kits for over 20 plus years. I like to lsbel myself as a "Jack of Trade, Master of None" type of builder. Am I master builder? Far from it. But im usually happy with my builds 99% of the time. There are a lot of methods I'm scared to death to try... preshading, hair spray chipping methods, mottling on Luftwaffe subjects, advanced weathering methods, working with PE parts, the list goes on and on. Hell, I've got a couple of dual action airbrushes I haven't tried using yet.

As others had mentioned, build for your own satisfaction, not for anyone else's. If you like how your build came out and you're happy with it, that's all it matters.

Don't let those who are master at their work intimidate you. Learn and ask questions to try new methods if you see something you want to try.

We all burned out sometimes and need to take a step back away from the bench once in a while.
Don't beat yourself up over it. Remember... this is suppose to be a relaxing hobby. Don't overthink or stress over accuracies or thinking it's not good enough. It's not worth getting stressed out or frustrated over it.

We'll all still be here when ever you decide to come back.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Declan I feel like your work is well worthy of this place. In many ways and many times you have surpassed my meager skills with your work. I also build for myself; I will post my work and show it but if I'm happy with it, I place it on the shelf and move on. Others. I'll see what I can do to improve if I feel it needs it; but only to the extent that I want to improve it. I have never tried building for other's approval or for awards; if it comes and the awards come; well that is just cream on the cake. What is most important to me is :A) I got it finished and B) I had fun doing it! As Bruce said, that is the most important thing you yourself can do too.

I shall be praying that you get a job that you are happy with and that gives you a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction. What is most important is what is best for you.

I do hope you stick around and I'm glad you'll be continuing with the Group Builds you've committed to. I love looking at your work! I've even learned a bit from you as well.

Hang in there my friend and keep the Faith!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Declan, long story short, this hobby, like every other activity, has a learning curve. No one is a master when they first start out. Only time and practice will make you better. As the others have said, build for yourself. You may not do as well as you want on the current project when it’s finished, but the next one will turn out better. In your head, keep track of what went well, and what needs improvement, and then tackle that on the next one. Above all, don’t quit. Step away when you’re not feeling the muse to build in you. Don’t force anything, that leads to sub standard work. Take a break. But when the muse returns, jump in with both feet and run with it. Experiment and try techniques. If they dont work out, or your don’t like that particular method, don’t use them again. If they do, incorporate them into your style. Mistakes tend to produce the more memorable lessons. Try some simple inexpensive kits for your experiments. That way, if things go sideways, no big loss.

Above all, remember, this is only a hobby. It is for enjoyment and relaxation. The fate of nations, lives, or the world, do not depend upon our hobby work. A little perspective in that respect helps out.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Member's Gallery”