Brookhurst Hobbies Spruefest 2020

Tell us about upcoming shows, contests and events. If you participate and get some recognition, tell us about it! Show pictures are welcome.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Brookhurst Hobbies Spruefest 2020

Post by Duke Maddog »

Just this past weekend I attended the fourth Brookhurst Hobbies Spruefest. It was again, quite crowded despite reports that entries were down. I didn't take a bunch of pics due to the sheer number of models on the tables, but I did get some pics of a lot that caught my eye.

Here they are...

Here's some overall shots of the armor tables. These are all 1/35th scale with 1/48 at the very back of the first pic:

Here's a shot of all the 1/72 scale armor, mine are all arrayed across the back:

Here's a couple more overall shots of the whole room:

I enlisted the assistance of a very tall modeler to get those last two pics.

Now we'll go by subject matter...

First we'll go back in time to check out this Triceratops dinosaur:

Now let's head to the skies. Here's a couple overall shots of aircraft. I think they are all 1/72 scale....

These ones are all 1/48 scale with a couple 1/72 scale jets photo bombing in front:

It doesn't show here but there were at least five or six Tamiya P-38's on this table.

I had to shoot this if only for the outrageous paint scheme:

Another excellent bare metal finish:

Here is a beautifully done Tamiya 1/48 scale Tomcat:

Here are some exquisite helicopters:

This one is fully scratch built. I believe it was in 1/48 scale:

1/35 scale Sea Sprite:

1/72 scale AH-1 from Special Hobby:

The 'new' AH-1Z:

Here's one I've been searching for forever:

This one was a five year long project that finally got finished in time for this contest:

Next are some shots of some incredible automotive subjects:

I love the way they did the vinyl top on this:

Here's a Volkswagen bus with a full interior:

An awesome Mad Max creation:

A couple more Mad Max-type vehicles. This one looks to be a Volkswagen zombie hunter:

I love this big rig converted to another Mad Max-type vehicle:

This is a beautiful tractor modified from a die cast model to represent the tractor used by his family on his farm when he was a kid:

While we are on the ground, here's a few of the armor models I shot.

This one is the Airfix 1/48 scale Coyote:

I shot this one because I'll be starting it soon. This is the 1/35th scale Dragon M-48 A3:

This is a 1/24 scale German Staff Car:

Here is a beautifully done diorama of a Japanese unit; something you don't see done often:

Another exceptional diorama of a German field repair yard:

I looked at that for almost an hour and still saw something new...

Now let's head out to sea....

These are some magnificent boats and ships, starting with this exceptional Japanese torpedo boat:

I'm told these were a post war development.

Next is my friend Sean's exquisite USS Langley in 1/700 scale. He even added a couple planes to the hanger deck:

I believe he placed with this...

You gotta love a well made Civil War ship! Here is the Lindbergh USS Virginia:

Talk about turning a sow's ear into a silk purse!

Here is a German Type IX submarine in 1/200 scale:

I like this one. He opened the forward deck to show the cruise missile reloads on this USS Growler:

I believe this PT boat is only 1/350 scale; it was quite small:

Another small model, also 1/350 scale. Very nice LCAC:

Now time to head out into space and new dimensions to see the possible and impossible. There were tons of these models on the tables, even in the gaming figures category.

First is this LEM, very beautifully done:

Now for the fun stuff! This is a car modified in a most interesting way:

"Back to the Future" gone wild!

Here are some Star Wars vehicles and ships... and robots like this fully lit and vocal R2D2:

Luke Skywalker hitting that small exhaust port:

Love this broken down AT-ST:

Another Y-wing:

And of course, the Millenium Falcon. This model was only about 7 inches long:

Next is the Star Trek universe; only represented by these that I saw:

This one I had to shoot, from Close Encounters:

Then there were some interesting Gundams. This one I had to shoot since he was painted up like Herbie the Love Bug:

I like this guy's camouflage net:

This is one of those fantasy figures from a game. What sensational work here:

Finally, here is Smaug, from the Lord of the Rings. What a magnificent Beast!

That's all I have for this show. Now I have to shoot the pics of my acquisitions that I picked up from Brookhurst Hobbies during their Spruefest sale. Stay tuned. Meanwhile, enjoy the show!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: Brookhurst Hobbies Spruefest 2020

Post by keavdog »

Exquisite work. I'm partial to the choppers, just so much intricate detail. Thanks for posting.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Wow! Mark that looks like it was a fantastic show! The quality of work in these photos is excellent.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Some really nice stuff!

I've seen the WIP of that big Seahawk. The guy that built it did a long thread on ARC of it.

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/ind ... /#comments
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks for the great replies guys!

K'dog, I agree; I love looking at helicopters. Building them too.

Carlos thanks! It was a well attended show; I haven't the full count but the tables were packed to the gills. I wish you could come to some of these contests/shows. They are a lot of fun and much of your work would be a contender.

Medic, that is so cool. I didn't get to meet the guy but his work is certainly exquisite!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Mark, in about five weeks I will have worked my last weekend and holiday, so I will finally have the freedom to attend such shows. We shall see if I can make a show or two after that... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Carlos that is sweet news! Perhaps you'll be able to make Valleycon in Pasadena. It's on my birthday March 1st; it would really make my day to see you there. Especially if Bruce is able to come too!

Heads up Bruce! I'll be bringing your Hellcat for competition just like I did at Spruefest!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Shows, Contests and Recogition”