Model Mania 2021

list upcoming events, post pictures of events that have taken place.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Model Mania 2021

Post by Medicman71 »

Well Saturday was Model Mania 2021 here in Houston. I entered three and didn't place with them. I was expecting to considering there were a ton a builds (so much so that some tables were in the vendors area) and most people had a lot more time than I did to work on them. Here's my three that I entered and a link to the pics I took.

Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: Model Mania 2021

Post by Medicman71 »

Here's the link to the show album.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVzyuPw
Mike

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well, you do very nice work Mike, so if those didn’t even place I imagine that the competition was pretty tough. And I’m sure most every model show for the next year or more is going to be more of the same with all the lockdown builds finally able to be brought out for contests.
I’m not a fan of egg planes or toon tanks, but the other two look damn good to me! Well done, no matter what the judges said.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Thanks Stik! The competition was very tough and I think the lock down didn't help me any. I'm not complaining at all cause I was beat by a long shot.

My only complaint is the "misc" category. That's the "dump it here" category. So things like tractors, egg planes and anything else that has no where to go. There was a super dirty bulldozer (VERY well done) in the same category as my Osprey eggplane. I can't compete with that!!
Mike

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well they couldn’t put that tractor with the shiny auto guys... :giggles:

Seriously, with as popular as those egg planes and toon tanks appear to be, a “humor” or “caricature” category should be created or added to include those, should be standard for that sort of build. They should not be lumped with something like the tractor or similar real life item.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Personally the tractor should have been with the auto guys. And it depends on what show you go to. I think it's IPMS-National rules that have a "misc aircraft" and a "humor" categories.
Mike

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, I agree about the tractor being in the auto category. It is a civil motor vehicle. But whoever the judges were who decided that it had to go elsewhere probably thought that since it wasn’t a shiny street or race track vehicle, that it didn’t belong.

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Yeah I've never been a fan of our IPMS chapter and the way they judge. The guy that is the head judge for the aircraft categories is a former USAF flight surgeon/engineer. Unless it's absolutely perfect, you don't have a chance. Now I know I sound bitter but I'm not. I have always been humble about not placing and I know that most of the time my build was not nearly as good as the others. I get beat fair and square.
Mike

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well.... under IPMS rules somebody has to place 1st, 2nd, and 3rd... so if a lot of stuff doesn’t get entered into that given category... :hmm: :whistle:

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Sorry you didn't place mike, sounds like a ton of competition.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall

Return to “Shows and contests”