Do we have a Trophy Case?

If you participate and bring home awards, please tell us about it here!
mustang1989

Re: Do we have a Trophy Case?

Post by mustang1989 »

Congratulations bud!! :shoutout:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Congratulations, Lucas! Magnificent work.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
tigrazor
Addicted Member

Post by tigrazor »

:bow:
"Did you really pay a big amount of money for only half a figure?!"

FB: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002809527929
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

This month there was a brand new model contest done by Brookhurst Hobbies for the very first time. It was called Spruefest 2017 and was a resounding success. There were 408 models entered in the contest; almost twice what was expected. I brought 6 models; four of which were brand new. The other two were models I brought out of retirement to compete again: my Dora rail gun and my Saturn V.

At the end of the day, I managed to place Third in Real Space with my Saturn V rocket:

That was expected as there were only three entries so I knew I was locked for a Third Place!

The unexpected award was a Third Place in the Armor OOB category that was awarded to my Dora Railgun:

That was surprising considering all the magnificently masterful models entered in that category with Dora. Almost all of them were 1/35th scale too and yet I managed to place Third. Still blows my mind.

That was all. I had a blast at this new contest and it felt great to bring my Dora and Saturn out again to be displayed and seen.

I also managed to pick up some new models and supplies both purchased and from the raffle. I'll post them later when I get a full accounting done and pics taken.

Thanks all for looking in, comments are welcome.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well done my friend!!! Both awards are well deserved. Knowing the level of local skills and from the turn out numbers you mentioned, I'm sure that it was a tough competition...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Well done, Duke!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

:that:

You are a very talented modeler, my friend! congrats and well deserved.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Carlos! You are very correct; it seemed most all of the masters in Southern California were there and competition was extreme. I, myself judged 1/35th scale armor and once again, we were the last ones to finish. It was beyond difficult. Stunningly masterful work all around.

Thanks Blacksheep! I appreciate that very much.

Thanks Lyle! While I do have some talent, I am still a babe in the woods next to so many of the modelers who entered this contest. Your kudos are most welcome and appreciated.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Mark, if just a half dozen of our AMPS crew and another half dozen different guys from OC IPMS showed up, that would be one tough contest.... Good on you my friend.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well, you got it mostly right. More than half of the AMPS guys were there, and at least eight to ten IPMS guys were there. Some guys from Vegas showed as well, along with several people from George Creed's group. No one from San Diego was there, but then they did have their own contest going on the same day at Gillespie. Henry and the AMPS guys helping him were overwhelmed at the turnout. Everyone only expected about 200+/- models and we got 408 on the tables. It got real crowded real fast! Yeah, it felt like a Nationals with respect to the stiff competition there; I felt like a T-Ball league ball player on a Major League Ball Field.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Member Recognition”