2019 IPMS Roscoe Turner

If you participate and bring home awards, please tell us about it here!
Stikpusher

Re: 2019 IPMS Roscoe Turner

Post by Stikpusher »

Wow! That was quite a show! Some real tough competition there!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Excellent pics, thanks for posting.

Floki, don't get a Facebook account just to post model pics. They may last a day on the page where you'll get a bunch of likes and maybe one or two comments and then it just disappears far down the page and is forgotten for the newer posts that come in after. It ain't worth it; you never get the type of quality replies to your pics like you get here in SPAM or other actual Forums.

Example:

During the IPMS Nationals in Phoenix last year, I brought in my collection of 700 armor models to be put on the display table. Supposedly, pics were posted on Facebook showing my entire 700-piece collection. I was told that Facebook was "blowing up" with comments about my collection and every post of those pics were "going viral". A couple days later I went on Facebook to see what the fuss was and possibly read some of these comments; but there was nothing at all to be found anywhere on Facebook about my collection. It all disappeared that quickly and was forgotten; if it was ever that big in the first place. So no; if the only reason they say to get a Facebook account is for model pics; don't. I have one, but it is mostly there to keep in touch with my family and former classmates.

Meanwhile, keep posting here and enjoy the camaraderie that you won't get there.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thanks Duke that settles it for me I won't be getting one.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

FB is good for finding small manufacturers and fabricators like Copper State Models, and for seeing what folks like David Parker of AFV is up to on his work and for research. There are groups dedicated to information on aircraft by subject. I also follow slot cars and science fiction modelers on FB. I can ask Rick Sternbach directly how he designed something on DS9. I think that’s pretty darn cool. Just my thoughts.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Stikpusher wrote:Wow! That was quite a show! Some real tough competition there!
It was a great turn out except for vendors their was a IPMS show the same day in Detroit for some reason. That and the mad Turk showed up he's a guy that buys up entire vendors right at the start of the show then resales on eBay people hate him. When I got there he had already bought out 5 people
In the photos the two figures around the purple hole right before my falcon it's what took 1st in scifi dioramas I think they are D&D things. The USS Indianapolis won best of show.
Odin's sons... Attack!
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yeah, I think that mad Turk cleaned out one or two of the vendors in Columbus of all their 1/72 scale armor. I personally think that shows like this need to arrange for the vendors to wait till the last hour or day of the show before selling out to people like this mad Turk. That way everyone else gets a shot at the stock and the Turk gets everything else afterward. The vendor is happy that he isn't taking as much home and the attendees are happy because they get a chance to buy something at the show that they are looking for.

I hate that guy!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

So who is this Turk guy? Does he attends every major model shows?
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I've seen him at every show I've been to, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky
Odin's sons... Attack!
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Went to one over at the MMCL club in Louisville a few years ago. I was supposed to meet Rex but he was delayed. Sad memory there. I did notice some vendors were empty. Wonder if it was this guy?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

So this Turk guy buys all the 1/72 scale kits and sells them on eBay for profit? Greedy bugger ain’t he? Has anyone confronted him about courtesy for other customers who may be looking for a particular kit before he grabs them all? I understand it helps lessens the load of vendors to bring back kits to his store or home.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Member Recognition”