1/48 Zveda Bf 109 F-2 JG 26 (Gustav "Micky" Sprick)

Any aircraft, or missile manufactured by Messerschmitt under said name. Bölkow-Blohm and subsequent merger and takeover aircraft are excluded.
lawdog114
Master Member

1/48 Zveda Bf 109 F-2 JG 26 (Gustav "Micky" Sprick)

Post by lawdog114 »

Permission to build another for this fine Group Build? I've read nothing but good things about the Zveda Frederich so had to grab one. It arrived on my doorstep much quicker than anticipated.

I will be doing a JG 26 bird, namely Gustav "Micky" Sprick's yellow nosed F-2. Sprick had 31 kills before being KIA during combat with Spitfires on June 28th 1941. I am however curious to who the half-naked, club-wielding dude is on the fuselage side. Kinda scares me.... :shock:

I will be doing this turkey closed up. I will source new exhausts and maybe some seat belts. I hope to start up soon.

Joe
Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
wing_nut

Re: 1/48 Zveda Bf 109 F-2 JG 26 (Gustav "Micky" Sprick)

Post by wing_nut »

It's a great kit. Lookimnjg forward ot see what you can do woith it. Later I will be posing picks of things not to do in my thread :nono:
wing_nut

Post by wing_nut »

I just noticed the pilots name. I wonder if a kid in Germany would have as hard a time growning up with that last name as a kid would here.
Manny1943
Addicted Member

Post by Manny1943 »

Bottom scheme...
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

Manny1943 wrote:Bottom scheme...
ahhhh.......no
Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

I'm finally in this bad boy! I admit, as a 1/48 Hasegawa 109 series fan, I was (and perhaps still am) skeptical that the Zveda 109 kit is really "better". After reading the reviews and seeing Wingnut's F-4, curiousity got the best of me so I decided to give it a whirl (kicking and screaming of course). This WIP will be objective and I intend to compare the two when appropriate. As a disclaimer, here's weeks worth of work, so don't think I'm really this fast. So grab a sandwich you may be here awhile.... :bored:

Following the lead of others who have built this turkey, I decided to get the Quickboost exhausts and I grabbed the Eduard PE set for cockpit as well. I decided to pass on the Vector set because it just didn't seem worth it to me. Besides, I think the spinner is nice and should hold a wash, perhaps even better than Hasegawa's example.

I started with the engine and assembled it per the instructions for the "In-flight" version since my example will be closed up. Perhaps it was me, but I found them extremely confusing. I only added what was necessary then added the QB exhaust stubs. I had no issues. (My joy would be short lived...)

I set this aside then turned to the cockpit. I thought the detail here was better than Hasegawa's example. I painted it XF-63 German Grey cut with XF-19 Light Grey to represent RLM 66. I added some of the PE, primarily the seat belts, pedals and the IP to spruce it up a bit. The separate fuel line Zveda provided had me scratching my head, as I broke mine trying to remove it from the sprue. Why not mold it to the starboard sidewall? Oh well, it looked good once fixed, painted and installed. I would have to attach the shoulder seat belts after the fuselage was assembled as the piece these attach to gets added after its closed up. No biggie just different.

I had a heck of a time getting the nose to close up. My Eduard Fw 190 Dora flashbacks started coming on quick like an old fashioned newsreel. I kept removing things from the top of the engine until I was able to close everything up. I still don't like the way it looks. It was at this point I started checking E-bay for a cheap Hasegawa F-2. I'm sorry, these types of kits just don't interest me.......I like things closed up to preserve the classic lines. I then began to notice that the panel lines were petite...perhaps too petite. I am concerned they won't hold a wash. I guess we'll see. There are no panel lines on the upper wings?.....strange I then read that some Fs didn't have them, so I didn't scribe them in. I do however like how all the control surfaces are posable, so I was a bit creative. I must say I like the tail planes deflected down. I may start cutting and posing all of them out from now on...

I also added the seamline on the intake with styrene rod. I've read the intake is inaccurate but I don't really care. It looks close enough to me.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Way to stick with it! Cockpit looks pretty snazzy. The other issues suck. That can easily pull the joy from a build in a hurry.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

The CP is a gem as usual, Joe. But the seamline looks a bit heavy (and edged) to my eye. Stretched sprue layed down with Extra Thin may would catch the lines more realistic.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.

Return to “Scale Plastic Aircraft Modeler Official Messerschmitt Group Build 2015”