1/48 Tamiya Bf 109 E-4 (Finished)....

Any aircraft, or missile manufactured by Messerschmitt under said name. Bölkow-Blohm and subsequent merger and takeover aircraft are excluded.
lawdog114
Master Member

Re: 1/48 Tamiya Bf 109 E-4 (therapy build)....

Post by lawdog114 »

Thanks Lyle and Owl....
Can you fly this plane and land it? Surely you can't be serious? I am serious, and don't call me Shirley
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That looks stunning!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
lawdog114
Master Member

Post by lawdog114 »

Well I'm finally in for an update. My fat cat decided to take a nap on top of the Tamiya box that stored the plane on my bench. I opened it to discover that the top fuselage seam split and the rear stabs and lower braces snapped off. After I took a few of his nine lives away :ballbat: (kidding animal lovers), I spent several hours fixing it. :bored:

I then decided to change schemes. I'm going with Gerhard Schopfel's JG 26 kite from August of 1940. Schofel was a very successful pilot during the Battle of Britain and shot down 4 Huricanne's in one mission. These markings were done by Superscale, but I have plenty in the stash to piece this guy together.

This was a matter of adding yellow wing tips and stab tips then raising the fuselage demarcation lin. Fairly painless. I added more postshading too....

......and that beefcake is banished from the model room... :puzzle: .

Joe
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Looks very good! Can't help but laugh at "masher" getting a good nap in. Glad you were able to recover. Something about cats and boxes.....
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Yeah, glad you could recover it. I like you change of scheme. Very nice!
LyleW wrote:Something about cats and boxes.....
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
lawdog114
Master Member

Re: 1/48 Tamiya Bf 109 E-4 (Finished)....

Post by lawdog114 »

I finished her up last night. To recap, it's the delightful Tamiya Bf 109 E-4 in the JG 26 Markings of Gerhard Schopfel around August of 1940, at the height of the Battle of Britain. Schopfel was very successful during the Battle and on August 18th, he downed four Hurricane's in one sortie and would amass a total of 45 kills by war's end.

The kit was typical Tamiya and is one of their easier builds (aside from my cat sitting on it.....I won't go there again :DH: ) It's weakness is probably the cockpit, but in this case, I only added a True Details seat. It got Quickboost guns and Ultracast wheels to spruce it up further. I pieced together Schopfel's markings from various sheets I had on hand. Strangely my black Flory wash started acting up and left chunks of clay (its a clay based product) everywhere, which took more effort to get it into the panel lines. Perhaps my bottle is breaking down. I do love the war-weary appearence the wash leaves, but I may start looking at alternatives, such as the MIG stuff.

Thanks for having me once again.... you folks are the greatest. I may still be back with yet another, maybe Steinhoff's E-3.

Joe

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

That is beautiful. Needs one thing, though. A little paw print under the cockpit.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

And here we are blessed again with one of your lovely Messerschmitt builds. I dig them all.

So there is another one for the gallery - Jim? :clockwatch:
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
CallSignOWL
Addicted Member

Post by CallSignOWL »

man, I am n-v-us!

beautiful bird :shoutout:
Every take-off has a landing...some are just better than others

Return to “Scale Plastic Aircraft Modeler Official Messerschmitt Group Build 2015”