1/72 Scale Hasegawa F-14 Tomcat Dual Kit Review

speedgraflex

Re: 1/72 Scale Hasegawa F-14 Tomcat Dual Kit Review

Post by speedgraflex »

Duke Maddog wrote:Thanks Joe, I appreciate the commendations and admiration. I guess I'm so used to it that I just don't see any issues.

Carlos, I guess, but I have seen in the past how this feature of movable surfaces can be done without being toylike. I'm a little sad that it's considered passé as I have had great fun building models like those. Oh well. I guess if one truly wants these features, they can modify the models themselves to make them.
Very cool discussion! Particularly about what used to be a big plus with models—moving features. I like the old kits because of this, too. Also in my opinion the CAD derived Revell Mustang I now own has a slightly odd look to it, which I think is from human choices made without a physical model. Something that chaps my arse immensely is the lack of physical models as the genesis for the subjects we build. Designing from CAD with test shots lacks the hands of the designer carving the representation of the form itself. I think even a modern jet model would benefit from organic interface.

Keep ‘em rolling, Duke.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Bruce! Progress has been made; pics forthcoming.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Here's is some small progress I made on these Tomcats. It took a long time, but I don't have too much to show. Anyway....

As of the last update, I had gloss coated the two F-14 Tomcats in preparation for decals on those two. Here they are all painted up and glossed up for decals:

I couldn't wait to shoot that side-by-side pic!

I started with the F-14-A and applied the decals to it. They took so long that I ran out of time to start the F-14-B:

One decal that I know of silvered on the tail so I'll be fixing that soon.

Aside from that one, the decals were in perfect registry and very thin. Despite that, they were surprisingly strong and resilient. I had almost no difficulty getting these to lay down without folding, cracking or splitting. The instruction sheet was very clear on where things went so that made it easy to place the stencils and markings where they needed to go. I will confess that, to speed things up and finish this review sooner; I did not put most of the stencils on the bottom of the plane since they won't be seen unless the plane tips over....

This coming week, I hope to add the decals on the second Tomcat. Then it will be a simple matter of sealing them all up and then painting all the details. After that I hope ot add the landing gear, gear doors and ordinance.

Stay tuned, more to come.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Those are looking sharp Mark!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Thanks Carlos! And thanks for the shots of the undersides of the Bombcats. I do need to find a way to mount some 2K pounders under them.

Hopefully soon I'll be able to get the decals on the second Tomcat.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Ah yes, I said that I would try to get you F-14 OEF bomb loadout info... hopefully I will remember when I am home later on... :headslap:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Stikpusher wrote:Ah yes, I said that I would try to get you F-14 OEF bomb loadout info... hopefully I will remember when I am home later on... :headslap:
That's cool. And thanks. Don't worry, there's still time yet.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Time is one thing that I never seem to have enough of in the past few years...

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Truth about time, Carlos! Carlos and Duke—my best to you both!!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Dang these more modern aircraft have a lot of decals/ stencils!!!! Wow!!!! Lookin' good Mark.

Return to “Member Reviews”