1/48 Meng F-35A Lightning II

mostrich
Admin

1/48 Meng F-35A Lightning II

Post by mostrich »

With its new F-35, Meng offers a new highlight on the modeling market. Just by the first glance into the box one can tell that there's a lot of bang for the bucks. Let's check out if Meng's still able to do fine aircraft kits after lurking around in the armour department for so long now.

Manufacturer: Meng
Product No.: LS-007
Category: Kit
Released: June 2017
Price: $ 40 - 60
Box Content: 13 grey sprues, 1 clear sprue, 1 small PE-card, 1 decal sheet, 1 instruction booklet, 1 double sided painting template

Short Background Story
The Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II is a family of single-seat, single-engine, all-weather stealth multirole fighters. The fifth-generation combat aircraft is designed to perform ground attack and air superiority missions. It has three main models: the F-35A conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) variant, the F-35B short take-off and vertical-landing (STOVL) variant, and the F-35C carrier-based Catapult Assisted Take-Off But Arrested Recovery (CATOBAR) variant. (...) The program is the most expensive military weapons system in history.

So let's be happy we're able to get this bird for clearly less than $ 95,000,000 and have a look at

The Kit

Meng delivers a well stuffed box. It includes around 220 parts on 14 sprues, upper and lower fuselage shells, a tiny PE-card, decals (printed by Cartograph) for two machines and the instructions of course.

Sprue A

Sprue B

Sprue C

Sprues D and E

Sprue F

Sprue G

Sprue H w/o Canopy

Sprue SGD

Sprues SGF and MMF

Fuselage

When it comes to Meng we expect high quality cast parts with sharp contours and fine recessed details. And we don't get disappointed by looking at the parts. The panel lines are sharp and delicate, the positions of the ejector pin marks are well-thought-out and shouldn't be visible after assembly. The most eye-catching feature of the kit are the Radar Absorbing Material-surfaces (RAM), those raised zig-zag-patterns are sadly way to prominent. They protrude 0.15 mm from the rest of the surface; doesn't sound that much, but in 1/48 that'd be 7.2 mm on the real thing. That would cause some serious aerodynamic issues for sure. This unfortunate 'feature' can also be found on the competing kits from Kitty Hawk (1/48) and Italeri (1/32). Hard to tell why Meng had to copy it.

The fuselage consists of an upper and a lower shell. The lower shell holds all the openings for the weapons bays, landing gear bays and engine intakes. The engine nozzle is nicely detailed and shows all the features you can expect from modern ejection molding, plus a little help from the PE-card. More can only be done with resin, but I'm sure we don't have to wait for too long until the usual suspects come around.

The cockpit of the F-35 is a hi-tech design and consequently plain looking, so you can't expect too much from the model's CP-design either. The instrument panel is nothing more than a wide-screen monitor that's to be covered with a decal. The side consoles contain the thrust regulator and control stick. The ejection seat looks solid for a styrene one and can be further detailed with the PE-belts.

The one-piece canopy is made of thin and crystal clear material. Neither flow-marks nor scratches are detectable. To complete this part the inner framework has to be glued in. The builder can choose between open or closed position.

The landing gear looks as plain as the CP. That can't be traced back to the lazyness of Meng's kit designers but to the simplicity of the F-35's components. The tires come without a weighted appearance, details on cap and rim look a bit shallow. On this point we have to wait for rescue from our Czech friends.

At the subject armament Meng acts pretty reserved. Only GBU-53 bombs and AIM-120C rockets are included to equip the internal bays. Though there are wing pylons included, you can't find anything in the box to arm them. Looks like Meng wants to sell us one of their separate armament sets (SPS-043, SPS-044 and SPS-045). That may be annoying for some of us, but on the other hand they're selling this kit for a reasonable price and for that sacrifices are to be made. Also the most F-35A we've seen on photographs so far lack the external stores.

Marking Options

First things first: Decals are printed by Cartograph in Italy and therefore the best quality you can get on the market. The sheet is small (120 x 90 mm) since there's not much going on on those modern jets. Two Air Force Jets are depictable, if you're more drawn to one of the foreign operators you have to spend some extra money. Would've been nice to see at least one customer aircraft on the sheet, since there are so many of them (Australia, Israel, Japan, Netherlands, Italy - just to name a few). So here are your limited choices:
  • F-35A 13-5071, 34th FS, 388th FW, USAF - Hill AFB, 2016
  • F-34A 11-5033, 33rd FW - Eglin AFB, 2015
Instructions
The instructions are structured in 29 steps, all text is bilingual in Chinese/English. Clarity is adequate, so is the print quality. We surely can work with them as they are, but they're clearly inferior to those who come with the Eduard or AMK kits.

A separate sheet shows the two offered schemes. Nothing too fancy there, since both are covered in Stealth Camouflage Grey. Color callouts relate to the products from Meng (AK Interactive) und the Mr.Hobby/Gunze (Water Based Acrysion line).

Conclusion
Meng put a great kit of the F-35A into the box. Shape and outlines match the complex original quite well, which was a problem with the first kits (Panda), who it the market before good reference material was available. It's all there you need to build a great looking model of this stupid expensive fighter; maybe only some resin tires could be added. We got our kit for unbeatable € 30 ($ 36), but any offer below $ 50 is a bargain for such a well designed kit. The only real issue are those too prominent RAM-surfaces. This can be overcome by using one of the already available mask sets (Galaxy Model D48003 or DNModels 48/827-035). After putting them on, shoot the surface with filler (Mr.Sufacer 1000 for example) in some thin layers and you should be fine.
Hopefully Meng will come back soon with another winged kit. They're pretty good at making them!

Hamburg, September 2017
Scruffy
Advanced Member

Re: 1/48 Meng F-35A Lightning II

Post by Scruffy »

Very nice, and I must say accurate review :shoutout:
Armory and True Details have resin wheels available, I went with the True Details ones as they had better tire side wall detail, but all in all it looks like a decent model can be built out of the box, and the good quality decals means that unless one wants a different option, they should be quite useable as well.
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Thanks for the update, Scruffy! The good thing on AM-tires is that they don't have to be designed for a certain kit. Scale should match, though. :giggles:

I was curious regarding the overall fit and so I did some taping of the main parts last night. I'm impressed by the outcome. All's a click-fit and not the slightest gap visible.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

What a review. I honestly had no idea this Forum was here on SPA Modeler. Heh. Now I do. What you present here Torben is an incredible first look: beautiful sprue shots, great comments, even a test fitting. I must be missing the modern aircraft gene, actually thankfully I am missing the gene, or else I would be buying this kit instead of researching WWII aircraft. I do have Little Miss Kittyhawk's Huey that I could add here... just one more forum to visit!! Thanks, amigo.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Thomas_M
Admin

Post by Thomas_M »

Just found this review here today. Sorry for being late to the party!
Torben, as usual a very well written review. Pictures crisp and clear as known from you and your review site. Thank yo for sharing this, and hopefully more, here! I guess this is the first kit from Meng I see with no tracks! :bag:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

After seeing one of these do a flight demonstration yesterday, I think I will be wanting to add this kit to my collection. Your review really helps sell this kit. Now if I can find such a similar bargain for one... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Stikpusher wrote:Now if I can find such a similar bargain for one... :hmm:
Maybe you'll find one on a vendor table at a show for a resonable price. Would save the shipping at least.
I think it can be an easy fun build you can finish within a few weeks. That means if you're not going too crazy with the inner and outer weapon stores.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Sooner or later I’ll get one. And while I’ll probably build weapons bays open, I won’t put on pylons or external ordnance. That stuff compromises stealth, which was the whole selling point of this golden goose to begin with. Now that their operational and becoming line birds, I am growing to accept them.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Member Reviews”