1/48 Italeri Lockheed Martin F-104G Special Color

Jeeves
Master Member

1/48 Italeri Lockheed Martin F-104G Special Color

Post by Jeeves »

First off- again my thanks to Italeri for the kit to review.

I'll admit to not knowing much about this particular aircraft but I welcome the challenge to give it a go. From the instructions:

"The Lockheed F-104 Starfighter, with its slender fuselage and the very little wing surface, has been for a lot of years the reference fighter of the Aeronautica Militare Italiana. Thanks to the thrust of its General Electric J79 afterburning turbojet engine, it could exceed Mach 2,2 with an excellent rate of climb. During the years of its operational service, several fighter squadrons of Aeronautica Militare, realized unique commemorative livery, with a strong an amazing visual impact. The adoption of particular liverys was used both for the celebrations of the fighter squadron flying activity and history, such as the F-104G Stregh (Witches) made in 1989 by the 3° Stormo located in Verona Villafranca using the colors of the 28° Gruppo, or to commemorate important events on the mass culture. About this second category one of the best known is the fantastic F-104G “Rosso 27”, made by the 4° Stormo 20° Gruppo, located in Grosseto, that adopted the Ferrari Red livery and the number 27 in memory of the Canadian F1 champion Gilles Villeneuve. Donated by Aeronautica Militare to Ferrari the “Rosso 27” is the "gate guardian" at the Fiorano track."

The kit comes with numerous sprues cast in light grey plastic, a clear sprue, and a set of decals for the two different schemes described above.

Sprues A and B represent the main fuselage halves and intakes and covers as well as each half of the nose cone...
There are no traces of flash that I see on the kit and the details seem crisp from what I can see-- again, I can't vie for their accuracy as this is a new sort of aircraft for me.

Sprues C & F come attached together and contain wing tops, hatch covers, and gear doors...
Some of the interior side detail...

Sprues D & G are also attached and are comprised of wing bottoms, horizontal stabilizers, ailerons, and leading edge flaps...

Sprues R, T, and one of two U contain engine fans, struts, instrument panel, gear wheels and hubs, and various small bits...
A close up of the second U sprue:

Sprue S are parts for the seat...

Sprue K contains the cockpit floor and side panels, bulkheads, engine nozzle, and other hatches...

Sprue L has the front gear bay, and parts for wing tanks that go with one of the schemes...

Sprue N is the clear sprue-- very crisp and nicely detailed...

The instruction booklet is typical of modern Italeri kits-

And the decal sheet for the two schemes previously mentioned--

Looking forward to delving into new territory- and either scheme looks to be pretty challenging to pull off...I hope I am up to the "Special Color" challenge!
Mike
Thomas_M
Admin

Re: 1/48 Italeri Lockheed Martin F-104G Special Color

Post by Thomas_M »

Really, some of the parts shown remind me to the Haesgawa kit. If this is a collaboration with Italeri?
Thanks for the pictures! What a colourful box art!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That looks like a very nice kit with lots of possibilities... did it come with any ordnance to arm it up with?

Side note... funny how under today’s lawyers that is a “Lockheed Martin F-104”. In the pre aerospace merger days when the F-104 was designed and built, the 104 was strictly a Lockheed creation and Martin very much their own separate company.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Jeeves
Master Member

Post by Jeeves »

Sorry for the delay in answering friends...but this is my first chance to sit down with new pics.

Thomas-- I have no idea but I share your insight...they sure so seem to have Hasagawa's look to them ;)

Stik--- I think it is kind of limited to just these two schemes...no ordinance- just wing tanks for one of the schemes....

Normally I am not a fan of jets overall but this baby is growing on me. She just seems so sleek! Parts have been beautiful to work with and everything is going together well. Just have cockpit shots for now as I can't close things up until these decals dry....
Mike
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Nice work on the cockpit! And the F-104 should grow on you I think. It’s a design that was way ahead of most others of its’ time. Very futuristic when compared to most most of its contemporaries. It was just rarely used in its intended design roll.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Jeeves
Master Member

Post by Jeeves »

Pretty pleased with the glossy paint finish...decals next...
Mike
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

M-a-r-v-e-l-l-o-u-s!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Well your assembly is pretty much complete. How does this one go together? Fit? Ease of assembly?

FLSM
Jeeves
Master Member

Post by Jeeves »

Well...the wing fit is a little awkward...there is a groove that is supposed to.fit in and it didn't...might've been due to something I misaligned but I planned on elaborating more in the actual review writeup. Also, one should definitely add the nose gear door assembly before adding the nose gear itself or it'll be a real bear to do otherwise.
Mike
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

That's a smooth coat man! Nice work!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Member Reviews”